Sadness in my house.

Rbeckett

Gold
Rest In Peace
The wife and I decided to have our 16 year old Golden put to sleep. Her hips have been failing and her arthritis makes it impossible for her to stand or not fall down. So on Monday the vet is coming out to do the deed. We are going to dig the hole Saturday so as soon as the vet leaves and the wife gets home we can bury her in the pet graveyard with her 5 yard mates from our super pack. Started out with 6 dogs and over the years they have dropped off one at a time just about every year. Been almost in tears the last two days and finally made the appointment this morning. Sucks to lose such a great companion, but we still have my Service Dog and her sister so I will continue to have a companion all the time. I am pretty sure I am going to bust out in tears when the vet does her in. I just have to keep telling myself that it is about her quality more than the quantity of her life. I know for sure I am going to miss her an aweful lot in the beginning. Ahhh well, such is life. It is always too short no matter how long they live.

Bob

Bob,

So sorry to hear this news. Pets are a joy to have but is SO hard to lose one. They really do become like family.

Steve

Oh man, Bob... I'm sorry to hear that...

Ray

Yup she was a bright light in our home for a long long time. Her hips have been failing for about 18 months and she has reached the point where her quality of life is suffering. So we will put her out in the yard with the other 5 rescues from the original 6 dog super pack we had for sooo long. At least I still have my Service Dog and her neurotic sister so I will still have a couple of companions all the time. Thanks for all the good thoughts. We will get through this but it really is like losing a child or family member.

Bob

Sorry to hear that Bob. I've been in that situation a number of times myself and it's never easy.

Best wishes,

-Ron

They are family. Always sad times. They are with us for a short time relative to our human family but great times.
Pierre

Sorry to read this, we love our pets and it's so sad when they have to leave our lives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. I'm glad to hear that the vet will come to your house. It's so much better for everyone when the dog can pass on in a familiar environment surrounded by loving family instead of a scary vet office. We had to have our Sammy put to sleep a couple of years ago and the vet ended up coming out to the car. He was so peaceful in the back of our Mini and it was a great kindness that we didn't have to subject him to any more grief.

Bob, I'm sorry to hear the news
just consider yourself a better person for loving and caring for the old girl.
it's really sad to loose a dear friend especially one of 16 years.
i have felt the bittersweet feelings a couple times myself.
i feel your pain brother.
you gave her a great home with everything she needed to live a very long and happy life.

all things must pass

Bob, it was with tears in my eyes that I read your post. We also have been down that difficult path too many times. It is at times like this that I think back on some of the pets we have had over the years, each with his or her own personality and various habits that make each stand out from the rest. Amazingly the two that seem to stand out the most for us were both the largest and smallest dogs we had.

Rico was a Great Pyrenees, a 140 pound gentle giant. He only lived to the age of 9 before he was called home, but his time with us will always be fondly remembered. He was a pillow and a jungle gym for my boys when they were little, plus he was a fierce protector. Rico's best buddy was a little 'teacup' poodle named Spencer. Spencer was all of 3 1/2 pounds dripping wet, but Rico always looked out for him, and they were the best of buddies. Spencer outlived Rico by many years, but we had to put the little guy down at the age of twenty three.

Rico and Spencer hold special places in our hearts, as do all of the other cats, dogs, cockatiels, parakeets, hamsters, and even a cockatoo that shared our home for a while. We feel honored that they were able to share some of their quality years with us, and we have known joy through their presence in our daily lives. Pets, like children, are gifts from God, should not be taken for granted.

Please accept our condolences, from my family to yours.

Back