Safe Way To Clamp A Log For Drilling ?

Cr23484

Registered
Registered
Hi Everyone,
I am looking for advice on a clamping system that will work with 3”-8” diameter logs by 18-20” long.
These are green maple and black walnut from our yard.
I will be using a cordless drill with some speedbor
max bits 1”-1 1/4” In diameter.
I will be working outside, so weight and ease of use are paramount, and of course Safety.
Thank you in advance for any advice.
J

I think I read you were making Adirondack furniture ? Could you make up a vise set-up such as on a horizontal bandsaw ? Lifting logs of that size shouldn't be a problem . ( I've got a few logs resting in the back yard at the moment , 44-48" in diameter . ) Had to buy a Husky chainsaw with a 36" bar , looking forward to the fun tomorrow .

I have bored holes in logs before up to 1.5", Used a 1/2hp drill with large arms to hang onto it. The trick is in the bit. You want something like auger bit. If it catches, you want to be ready to let it go. Do not use the trigger lock ever, if you have to let go, you want it to stop. Don't ask me how I know on this one. Thankfully, the extension cord became taught and finally the drill cord pulled out. Happens way too fast. You can also use these in hand drills.

Capture.JPG

The only other way I have done it is with a hand boring drill.

Capture.JPG

Thank you for your advice.
The bits I have are very similar , but with 3 flutes.
Have not used them, but I plan on using my Milwaukee 18v cordless screw gun/drill.
I certainly don’t need any extra injuries, Safety first, after all this is a hobby and should be fun and interesting!
J

I have bored holes in logs before up to 1.5", Used a 1/2hp drill with large arms to hang onto it. The trick is in the bit. You want something like auger bit. If it catches, you want to be ready to let it go. Do not use the trigger lock ever, if you have to let go, you want it to stop. Don't ask me how I know on this one. Thankfully, the extension cord became taught and finally the drill cord pulled out. Happens way too fast. You can also use these in hand drills.

View attachment 333827

The only other way I have done it is with a hand boring drill.

View attachment 333825
This are the bit I will be using, very sharp !

My M18 drill (1/2'' chuck) has been used for several years now and for many different jobs. Unless you are drilling a few very shallow holes in the logs, I would not consider the M18 drill to be the best choice for that type of work.

Are you looking to drill in from the end or a cross hole? That may change the best way to clamp it.

If you have a lot of these to do, I would make a dedicated clamp for it. a couple chunks of 4x4 with a good V knotch to lay the log into and then one more across the top with a big bolt to clamp it down. Put a handle on the nut so you need no tools and can spin it open and closed quickly. have a slot in the clap bar so you do not have to unscrew the nut all the way each time.

When holding the drill grip it in a way that if it catches it can full the grip out of your hand and not thru your hand. If it pulls thru your fingers causing yo to let go of the switch and stops, that is a good thing .If as it catches and is trying to push thru your hand the torque may hold down the switch and it will resist stopping till something breaks.

As mentioned, if you have a lot of holes or deep holes the M18 drill may not live long. Pay attention to how warm it is getting. After each big hole let it run a bit at full speed with no load to let the fan blow some air thru to cool things off.

Probably the best way to hold a log is to create a vise like the one shown by Papa Charlie a couple of posts above. Two sets of Vee's inserted into another stout log. Strap them to it, if necessary.

My M18 drill (1/2'' chuck) has been used for several years now and for many different jobs. Unless you are drilling a few very shallow holes in the logs, I would not consider the M18 drill to be the best choice for that type of work.
Thank You very much,
Sorry no pics, but my pics I choose never show up in the post.
I don’t want to burn out the M18 motor, perhaps the Bosch 1/2” hammer drill with the hammer function off. It is a corded drill.

Are you looking to drill in from the end or a cross hole? That may change the best way to clamp it.

If you have a lot of these to do, I would make a dedicated clamp for it. a couple chunks of 4x4 with a good V knotch to lay the log into and then one more across the top with a big bolt to clamp it down. Put a handle on the nut so you need no tools and can spin it open and closed quickly. have a slot in the clap bar so you do not have to unscrew the nut all the way each time.

When holding the drill grip it in a way that if it catches it can full the grip out of your hand and not thru your hand. If it pulls thru your fingers causing yo to let go of the switch and stops, that is a good thing .If as it catches and is trying to push thru your hand the torque may hold down the switch and it will resist stopping till something breaks.

As mentioned, if you have a lot of holes or deep holes the M18 drill may not live long. Pay attention to how warm it is getting. After each big hole let it run a bit at full speed with no load to let the fan blow some air thru to cool things off.
Thank You very much,
Great advice!
I will be drilling into the side of the log.
I thought since it is green lumber, it would drill much easier.
I do have to be very careful of my wrists and fingers, because I have injured them before doing another task.
These bits cannot be used in a drill press.
perhaps I should use a forstner bit on the drill press
with the log strapped or clamped with a hold down.
I wanted to work outside, but I may change my mind to work in the basement, for Safety reasons.
J

Back