Safe Way To Clamp A Log For Drilling ?

Thank You very much,
Sorry no pics, but my pics I choose never show up in the post.
I don’t want to burn out the M18 motor, perhaps the Bosch 1/2” hammer drill with the hammer function off. It is a corded drill.

I wouldn't use your cordless either. This takes a great deal of energy to bore through a log. You will burn up your batteries. Your Bosch is the right choice but don't bind the cord to extension cord. You want that connection to pull apart if things go south and get out of control.

These bits cannot be used in a drill press.

Is that a general rule for those types of bits?

I like the idea of the drill press.
The speed and feed are better controlled.

I could see hauling the logs in to the machine, if it meant better safety.
Forstener bits produce great flat-bottomed holed, or nice thru holes.

Rotate the drill-press table to the required angle and use either the table t-slots (ideal) or a ratcheting strap clamps to hold down.

-brino

Is that a general rule for those types of bits?

I like the idea of the drill press.
The speed and feed are better controlled.

I could see hauling the logs in to the machine, if it meant better safety.
Forstener bits produce great flat-bottomed holed, or nice thru holes.

Rotate the drill-press table to the required angle and use either the table t-slots (ideal) or a ratcheting strap clamps to hold down.

-brino
Thanks,
Yes, these particular bits as well as any with a screw tip, are considered “self feeding”.
I read on their description to not use on drill presses.
Definitely safer working on a log on the drill press.

Drill presses have too much torque, if they hang up you better not be anywhere near it.

I used a large drill with two large handles. If it catches you let it go and you do not braise it against you leg. Had a friend do that down on the dairy farm. Broke his leg.

They probably say not to use those auger bits in a drill press because they are self feeding. I have done it many times, they can indeed sometimes self feed with considerable force that its difficult to stop it with the quill feed lever! Even if you have a depth stop, it could pull the work up out of a vise or if it was just pushed against a fence, causing it to spin an possibly injuring you (Don't ask how I know, LOL). The work around it to first drill a pilot hole so the screw cannot engage the work.

Back