Salvaging Useful Parts from Printers

C-Bag

Ned Ludd's bro
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I took one printer apart years ago and was astounded by all the really cool parts. And while they do have a lot of plastic those ground rods, guides, slides and rollers are really nice. I don't see how they can sell them so cheap except they make their $$ back many times over by selling the cartridges. I came away with a bag of really interesting stuff but finally had to toss it because I couldn't come up with a project for it all.

I would love to see some of the stuff you've made with printer parts. Thanks for posting.

Jim Dobson

Active User
Registered
I really check anything out before I throw it. Just to go and by a 3 pin plug and 1.8m of electrical cable from the hardware store is $$$

C-Bag

Ned Ludd's bro
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Very true. And yeah, it killed me to toss that stuff. I love repurposing, but I'm a mechanical guy, not electrical and don't do small stuff. When I was a line mechanic I used to take the stuff apart I didn't have to turn in for the core and save the "shiny" stuff. Odd screws, bolts, washers and parts that looked like I could make it into something else. I saved the counter balances out of an A/C compressor and ended up welding them onto some old junk pliers to be able to make specific radius bends in 1/8" rod. My shop is full of cobbled machines and cool stuff waiting to be useful as the need arises.

Last edited:
It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code