Sam Hill

Funny story — when my grandparents (my Mom’s side) came to Canada in ‘39 they spoke no English. My Mom, being eight or nine years old, was picking it up quickly but still there was a large language barrier. They lived in a settlement of log cabins provided by the Government, and all of the settlers were from the same area.

After a time my Grandmother asked my Mom “..so what is the meaning of this “”Salamma pitch”” I keep hearing? Salamma pitch, Salamma pitch, my Mom thought — she’d never heard of it and couldn’t find it in her little pocket dictionary. “Weiss nicht, Mamma”, I don’t know.

Well a little more time passed and one day as they were walking along the road they passed a group of men sawing wood. One of them tripped or dropped something, I don’t know, but whatever it was made him cry out “SONOFABITCH!” and my Grandmother said “see, there it is again “Salamma pitch”…

Sam Hill is part of Oregon/Washington/BC history
https://www.maryhillmuseum.org/
Built his wife a home and had visions of building a community at the site but could not get water up from the Columbia
His story gets interesting. He built his place about 100 miles east of Portland, Oregon back when the only reliable way to get there was by water. He was a big proponent of good roads and played a big role in building what is now called the Columbia Gorge Scenic Highway, done right around the time of the CCC. The road he built to go from the Columbia up to Maryhill, perhaps 1,000 feet higher, was one of the first asphalt-paved roads in the pacific northwest. It's still in use.

He built his mansion out there but his wife hated the place & didn't stay there long, if ever. He had an interesting relationship with Romanian royalty of the female persuasion. He bought a lot of art for his mansion, including a number of Rodin sculptures. There's a Rodin copy of the "Thinker" in the lower level. Currently it's a museum with a lot of native-american art and a view to die for. If that gets old, the Maryhill winery is just a little ways west of Maryhill. They make some pretty good Washington red wines. And a little further east of there you can visit a replica of Stonehenge, erected after WW1 to commemorate local Vets of that war. I've visited it a couple of times so can attest it's not anything like the real deal. It's miniscule by comparison....but that's really not the point.

It sounds like a travel brochure but I'm just a local Portland-based denizen with no change at stake.

In actuality I don't give up on a project easily. Knowing that if I reefed hard enough on the arbor, the dovetail on the end
would come off. I used heavier blocks of hardwood mounted in a large vise tightened to X foot pounds and a pipe wrench
and YES, it did come apart. Maybe someone else tried to get it apart as the cutter is missing a tooth but it is no worse
for wear and is now apart. Also, I milled a one half inch square on the top of the arbor in case I have more trouble later.

I thought it looked pretty good.:)
P1030797.JPG

Yesterday I had to test out one of the cutters so I made a tool holder crafted after a CXA holder by Aloris.
The material I'm pretty sure was from a chunk of 4140 steel although I could be wrong on that. It certainly was
not mild steel and came from a tool and die plant. Although generally not too difficult to make one needs to
machine the last several thousandths in increments as the fit in the tool post is quite critical. I found it interesting
that once it was fitted to the Aloris tool post, it also fit nicely on my DTM tool post. I had to take my time with
threading the holes as it was a bit challenging. When all done, I clamped the cutter between two blocks
of hard wood and was pleasantly surprised that it came apart from the arbor fairly easily(metal to metal, no paper washer).
I may make another one and try the paper washer and see how that works. P1030817.JPG

P1030815.JPG
It looks like I have enough material to make three more of these holders. I may heat this one up and quench it in oil and find
out of the stuff hardens.

Last edited:
Back