Sanding 304 Stainless

I was hoping to get 7 of these done today, but I was only able to finish 4. I’ve been working on these (includes side milling & a lot of drilling) for over 5 weeks. I will be done with this project in 2 days.

02C7B32E-E923-4924-9AC2-A71DAA753B75.jpeg

B2E212B0-99A9-456A-92C5-6DDE6FEEF1C9.jpeg

Even after all of my sanding, I can see that the autobody guy is going to need to even out the surface finish.

Last edited:
UsIng a block of wood and red scotchbrite, wet sand in the long direction…

This is just what the doctor ordered. This is what the autobody guy will do while I am starting a different project.

Holy cr@p, I am glad to be done with this *exceeding time consuming* project!

Here is the picture that I took when I dropped it off at the autobody shop today for clear cost. The quote for clear coat was $640.

220D6FEB-DDF8-46F0-86C4-8989AE3AAF90.png

I think that is it for me doing work for other people. I only did this because it is for my brother. It is much better for me to go to my day job & earn about 3 times as much as I do trying to make money from metalworking.

Six hunnerd and forty bucks?!

Dude...

That buys a paint gun, a can of 2k clear poly, sawhorses, and a drop cloth... and leaves you with about $500 in change to cover beer, dinner, gas, a change of clothes, and heck, you still get $300 for your trouble after that's done.

Edit: And it's still stainless.

Dude...

That buys a paint gun, a can of 2k clear poly, sawhorses, and a drop cloth... and leaves you with about $500 in change to cover beer, dinner, gas, a change of clothes, and heck, you still get $300 for your trouble after that's done.

This is his quote:

B814D29F-B58F-442F-9317-FA8BA16F8CED.png

My brother was very kind in that he tipped me enough money to buy a dedicated O/A cutting torch & an acetylene regulator.

I volunteered to work an extra 8 hour shift this Saturday to buy an oxygen regulator & a 25’ T-rated BB twin hose.

I have a combination torch (welding & cutting), but I’ve always wanted a dedicated cutting torch.

Dude...

2k is a bit dodge for home spraying isn't it ?

Stu

2k is a bit dodge for home spraying isn't it ?

Stu
Nah, the formulations these days are good for a wide range of conditions. Health wise, not too much of a problem for small, infrequent jobs in open air. The hazardous isocyanate analogues are being largely phased out in favor of partially polymerized versions that are generally safer.

Nah, the formulations these days are good for a wide range of conditions. Health wise, not too much of a problem for small, infrequent jobs in open air. The hazardous isocyanate analogues are being largely phased out in favor of partially polymerized versions that are generally safer.

Good to know , as the isocyanate's can give you industrial asthma.

Stu

Back