Saw this video on how to face knurl and thought it was interesting and worth sharing

that's what I got from it. Also the reverse turning was only because that's what he had as a tool I'm assuming, it would work in a normal config if your tool was so equipped. I think the calculation for the feed is the only part that would need work. I don't think the feeds listed on your gearbox work on the cross slide.. but maybe they do.
The crossfeed runs at a fixed ratio to the longitudinal feed, usually noted on the gear selector plate.

so is it the same as the long feed? or different? I'm not sure what you meant...
No, it's a fraction of the long feed. It's in the vertical red band in this picture.

1688741803442.png

Usually 1/2 of longitudnal I believe .

I never saw that. My plate is hard to read.... .3 of longitude... thanks... was that a 9a or 12 ,13,14, or 16?

that's what I got from it. Also the reverse turning was only because that's what he had as a tool I'm assuming, it would work in a normal config if your tool was so equipped. I think the calculation for the feed is the only part that would need work. I don't think the feeds listed on your gearbox work on the cross slide.. but maybe they do.
If your lathe had a dro no need to calculate just use trial and error. Just engage the power feed, zero dro and turn the chuck one revolution by hand and note the change in the DRO. Adjust gears and try again. Rinse and repeat...

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

If your lathe had a dro no need to calculate just use trial and error. Just engage the power feed, zero dro and turn the chuck one revolution by hand and note the change in the DRO. Adjust gears and try again. Rinse and repeat...

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk
Or read it off the cross-feed dial.

I never saw that. My plate is hard to read.... .3 of longitude... thanks... was that a 9a or 12 ,13,14, or 16?
Not sure, that's just the first readable one that Google found. My Heavy 10 is .375.

Back