Sb9a Using Er32?

The collet chuck will work but it will stick out farther past the spindle. You should make a drawbar to hold it in place. Which is a threaded rod thru the spindle with a big washer on the left side and a nut. The other end will screw into the chuck...Bob

Your bar will need this thread which is easy enough to make with a hand die. Collet Chuck With M12 Drawbar Thread...Bob

The collet chuck is fine, you will need to make a drawbar to secure it in the spindle.

The boring head will work, but I think that you would be better off to mount the boring bars on the compound. Much easier to adjust the cross slide than the boring head, and you will also be able to bore at an angle if needed .

The tailstock boring bar will work but its the same idea when using your lathe compound. Don't get me wrong it has other uses like using it to make tapers or make a #3 arbor and use it in your spindle. This is the extra stick out from the #3 MT arbor. You should use a longer collet nut to remove it without beating it out. The standard length is the gray one. The next pic is the boring head in the spindle. Both use a drawbar to hold them in...Bob834.JPG 1266.JPG 1264.JPG

One of the great advantages to the ER system is that you can pass the work through the collet and out the spindle. The set up you're considering negates that possibility. I am not familiar with how the chucks attach to the SB9 spindle but would try to buy or make one instead of giving up the pass-through capability ... but that's just me. Matthemuppet did one for his Atlas - could you do something like he did?

As to the boring head in the tailstock idea, I would not do that. Boring requires rigidity and there is too much play in the ram for this to work well. You will be much better off using a bar in a good holder locked in the tool post.

Like Mikey said, you want to be able to pass the stock through the spindle and the max size of the ER32 system is almost exactly the same as the 9A spindle hole. You can either buy a chuck or make your own:

Like Mikey said, you want to be able to pass the stock through the spindle and the max size of the ER32 system is almost exactly the same as the 9A spindle hole. You can either buy a chuck or make your own.

Really like that Doubleboost guy but you have to listen really carefully to get past his accent.

I recently bought (yes, bought, not made :() an ER-40 direct mount chuck for my lathe and have found it a delight to use. It clamped a leadscrew tightly without damaging the threads so it did exactly what I bought it for. Those chucks that fit a MT and lock with a drawbar are intended for tool holding, which limits its use on a lathe.

Back