Seals for Porta-power

jbltwin1

Registered
Registered
Any of you guys had any luck sourcing seals for 4 ton porta power cyls? I hate like heck to just buy a new 4 ton for one seal blown. It's apart and the broken seal luck like this: attachment. It's 4 ton from astro. The spreader is spewing to but haven't taken it apart yet. Contacted AStro and they were nice but after sending them pics, haven't heard back for months. Just curious. Hate trashing stuff for a $4 seal. Mike. OOPS-forgot pics

Attachments

• P1050287.JPG
    P1050287.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 19
  • P1050290.JPG
    P1050290.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 19
Could you take some pictures I’m curious on what’s inside a porta power cylinder in case mine starts to leak

Thanks guys. I'll go look at them Looks promising. I have some photos of the inside of mine but from what I remember, they vary a LOT as to which seals go where, what order and composition. Here they are.

Attachments

• P1050289.JPG
    P1050289.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 14
  • P1050292.JPG
    P1050292.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 15
Apparently, it's just too old and outdated to buy parts for. I've either looked at or contacted the above places and others and there just aren't any seals like mine. It's kind of a shame that you can't get parts for this stuff. Mike

You might try Grainger and MSC for the seals. I had a similar situation with a WWII surplus hydraulic hand pump and found the seals I needed at Grainger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@jbltwin1

I agree that it would be a shame to throw away the cylinder for lack of inexpensive wear parts.

It's curious to me that, after all this time, you haven't posted the critical dimensions involved.
If it were my cylinder, I would start by measuring the ID of the cylinder and the OD of the portion of the piston where the seal(s) seat.
I wouldn't care if I could get an exact replacement seal kit. As you say, it's old and exact replacements may not be available. However, if you know the two dimensions, a useful search can begin.

Maybe find a seal that has the right I.D. and bore the cylinder flange to match? I'm surprised a hub flange seal or transmission tailpiece seal isn't available to cover it.

Back