Seals for Porta-power

I am constantly repairing old and foreign equipment.
Seals and o rings are available but no one is really going to be much help.
Measure the parts then get online many many times I am checking both metric and sae sizes of seals and o rings to get the sizes I need.

I originally was hoping for the magic onion and find the seals all in a kit! The model is 107C Astro, the cylinder BORE size is around 1.15" (hard to measure inside). the piston rod is .988" and the ID of the seal should be right at .750" as that is the size of the rod diameter that it rides on. Not strange when you are wishing!

I originally was hoping for the magic onion and find the seals all in a kit! The model is 107C Astro, the cylinder BORE size is around 1.15" (hard to measure inside). the piston rod is .988" and the ID of the seal should be right at .750" as that is the size of the rod diameter that it rides on. Not strange when you are wishing!

Now we're getting somewhere. Except " around 1.15" " isn't really good enough. Can you accurately measure the OD of the brass looking piece on the piston? That piece keeps the piston centered in the cylinder and and should be a fairly close fit.

@jbltwin1

Also, please post a picture or two of the hardware that you removed from the threaded end of the piston rod so there are no surprises.

The brass part measures 1.114". There are already pics if that end at the beginning part of the thread. Somebody else asked for them too fopor theirs.

Jacks typically operate up to 10,000 psi. This is one reason that seals are hard to find. Hiball, over on Garage Journal, is an expert on hydraulic jacks. He doesn't take in work, but his signature says:
"Need a Seal Kit? Contact Hydraulic Parts Supply at 620-594-2247" so that is a good recommendation.

Being an Astro, it could be either inch or metric. 1.114 inches is about 28.3MM, so I would guess the bore is more likely to be 1.125 (1-1/8"), which would give a working clearance for the piston in the bore.

@jbltwin1

Also, please post a picture or two of the hardware that you removed from the threaded end of the piston rod so there are no surprises.

I see pictures of a damaged seal. I see pictures of the threaded end of the piston rod but I don't see any pictures of what you removed from the threads.

You say the wear ring (brass part) is 1.114" OD. That seems a bit small for a 1.125" (standard size) diameter cylinder. I would prefer the wear ring to be a much closer fit to the cylinder bore. Does it look like the wear ring has about .010" diametrical clearance to the cylinder bore? How much total clearance do you see there?

Also, do you have a lathe and are you interested in making a new, better fitting wear ring?

Brass seems to fit bore ok. Brass is concave on back side to fit concave seals. Pic of nut retainer and top retainer attached.

Attachments

• P1050429.JPG
    P1050429.JPG
    863.2 KB · Views: 8
  • P1050430.JPG
    P1050430.JPG
    854.6 KB · Views: 8
  • P1050433.JPG
    P1050433.JPG
    759.3 KB · Views: 8
I originally was hoping for the magic onion and find the seals all in a kit!

I hear that! We had a press leaking oil, and when the bucket-of-sawdust was looking drippy, I looked
into getting a rebuild kit. First problem: no drawings (and I was not anxious enough to disassemble
the 50-ton press then, it DID still do its work). Second problem: maker out of business.
Found (thanks to Thomas Register; this was forty years ago, no internet) a hydraulics company
in the same town, phoned 'em (remember telephones with people answering?) and struck lucky,
they WERE the successor of my missing maker. They even had the seal, in stock.

Then, they had a $50 minimum order, and the seal was $35... and there was just no way to
buy the seal (couldn't, for instance, buy two, or go through local distributor).

To the best of my knowledge, there's still a bucket of sawdust and regular check-the-oil-level
happening on that press.

Back