Second interview

Thank you,.
Essentially you will have to learn that the machining parameters on a $100,000.00 lathe far exceed what you are used to with a $5000,00 hobby machine.
Do not be gentle, you will now have to make time.

Last edited:
All of the above . Learn the manual machines and how to trouble shoot equipment , you'll have a job for life . CNC production isn't the way to go , unless you're the one doing the programming . Congrats though , hope you get it .

My shop has struggled for years to find qualified and motivated apprentices. Or, journeymen, for that matter. If you bring a good attitude, strong work ethic, and a desire to improve, then you will have no trouble advancing in pay and responsibility. Your supervisors will consider you a godsend, no kidding:big grin:.
If you can leave the phone alone, for 4 hours at a time, then you will make boss in short order:eek 2:

Good luck. Knowing how to make things will give you a huge advantage over someone who doesn't. Historically, engineers had hobbies that gave them experience with designing things, because they had experience building things. That era seems to be over ( yes, I am an engineer, but old school, my first major purchase after I graduated was a lathe). "Why" it does what it does is often more important than the "what", which may have gotten you the job. Happy and satisfied is a better place to be.

My shop has struggled for years to find qualified and motivated apprentices. Or, journeymen, for that matter. If you bring a good attitude, strong work ethic, and a desire to improve, then you will have no trouble advancing in pay and responsibility. Your supervisors will consider you a godsend, no kidding:big grin:.
If you can leave the phone alone, for 4 hours at a time, then you will make boss in short order:eek 2:
Lol, well I'm not attached to my phone at all, I should be good in that department. I really think that this will be a great opportunity for me, I cant wait to start learning more. I will probably drive them a little crazy, because I will be picking their collective brains constantly.<--- might be my biggest downfall!

There are no dumb questions in this trade . ;) What you don't know can hurt you ! :black eye:

Safety first . Quality second . Quantity third . ( Do it once , do it right )

Leave the job as you came , injury free !

I currently work in a small shop with 8 people on the floor, there is one guy in his early 20's that is excellent, he does what he is told and wants to learn and will ask questions when he is unsure rather then blindly go on.

He brings the average age of the shop down to about 49 years old, the bastard (-:

I am only 60, he is one of the 2 people that are younger then me. I suspect that my employer will have some rough sledding ahead when a majority of his workforce turns 70 or more in the next 10 years.

Back