Securing a gear on a shaft without pressing it on

alloy

Dan, Retired old fart
H-M Supporter Gold Member
OK, sounds weird I know.

I have a steel speedometer gear I need to secure on a shaft inside an automatic transmission. I can machine it for a light press fit and in the instructions say use a piece of aluminum tubing and a soft hammer totap it on, but in the real world a customer will use steel tubing and their splitting maul to install it.

The problem is that if they hit it too hard they will damage the transmission. The output shaft uses a snap ring inside the transmission case to stop forward movement of the clutch drum and they will break the groove in the case and pretty much scrap the trans.

I've thought about possibly drilling the edge of the steel gear at a 45 degree angle and using set screws to lock it, but they will have to be pretty small screws. I'm not sure if a locking compound will work considering the inside temp of the trans could reach 200 degrees.

Any thoughts or ideas you have will be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20190617_091300.jpg
    20190617_091300.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Loctite makes some high temp stuff that could work. I don't know about its longevity in this application.
Could you sell it with an installation kit that does not include a splitting maul?
RWM

They usually lock in with a cir-clip. Most older domestic anyway.

Google high temperature epoxy, quite a lot of choices available including some one part systems.

From that data sheet above: "Typical applications include locating pins in radiator assemblies, sleeves into pump housings and bearings in auto transmissions. Particularly suitable for applications where temperature resistance up to 200°C is required. "

This isn't an oem application so can't use any type of clip. It's a modification to an existing transmission so hot rodders can put a newer engine and transmission in an older car and have a way to drive their mechanical speedometer.

I had thought about epoxy but I don't trust all customers to use it correctly. I used epoxy to seal up the housing after I modify it and it works great.

I've not tried using retaining compound before. I like they have individual use packets.

I'll give the retaining compound a try.

Thanks everyone for responding.

Is it something you can shrink fit on there. Include in instruction to put in oven at ... for ... or propane torch for .... and slide on.
Supply a aluminum driver with one time use retaining compound?
Explain in instruction the care needed in driving the gear and the consequences. Leave it in their hands and we’ll informed.

I've used the Loctite bearing retaining compound on main bearings for my racing kart engines. Good stuff.

Back