Securing The Apes

Not trying to sound like doomsday person. It’s hard enough on 2 wheels with idiots on phone and just not giving a poop if they hit you. Was a motor officer for couple years until bad accident. Pelvis cracked. Left shoulder rebuilt. Chin bone sticking out. Thought a rock was stuck there. Fix before riding please. Proven fact idiots will pull out in front of bike that wouldn’t if truck was coming.

Thanks guys. Yes, I know it needs to be addressed. I haven't ridden since I felt them slip. I've been riding for 30+ years (ouch!). Never had to lay a bike down yet, thank God. I know that day will come but hopefully it's faaaaar away. So I'm not able to work on the bike today. I've got to spend all day fixing my sister's truck. A cast metal piece behind the steering wheel that's part of the whole shifting linkage broke. I just got on the PC to look at parts schematics and see if I can even get this part. Not looking good so far. When I get to working on the bike again I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks.

If your bars are moving after hitting a bump, you have mismatched parts somewhere. Either size or application.

I've never had a set of bars slip (that wasn't crashed), not even on dirt bikes where I'm jumping 5-10 feet in the air. That's old dirt bikes, not the ones with 2" of travel and seem to spend more time in the air than on the ground. So if a bar is going to slip, it's going to be on those old klackers slamming into the earth after a jump. There's a reason we pretty much all used to wear "kidney belts" when we went for an afternoon of dirt biking.

Most through bars will have a knurled section on the bar where they engage the bar clamps. This gives them plenty of "bite" when the clamps are tightened. If your clamps are smooth and the bar is smooth chrome, you're already starting out behind the 8 ball...

1" bars or 1 1/4"? Either set here's what you can do. If your risers are aluminum replace them with steel. As others have suggested address the fit of the riser caps. Learn NOT to pull on the bars when lifting your butt off the seat to shift positions.
12" bars are what I run.
Desktop(1) (2021_05_19 01_22_57 UTC).jpg

Back