Seeking drill bit and bit sharpener recommendations...

My primary work is done at a maker space (Techshop). Finding a sharp drill bit is a constant source of frustration. I'd like to invest in a quality set of bits (standard size) and a bit sharpening tool. I am primarily working in aluminum and steel. Would appreciate any recommendations, since there are so many options.

Thanks

Jim

It appears there are two schools of thought here, 1. go cheap and top up as needed. or 2. go the whole hog and hang the expense.
While we don't have harbor freight here in down under. I gather they are similar to the big box junk hardware shops we do have.

Unless you have money to burn, I would suggest buy a basic set of drills 118 deg standard or split points. you will find that a few sizes will be used almost all the time, certainly replace them with high quality bits as needed. There will be some sizes in the set that will almost never be used, and will probably never need to be sharpened.

I assume you are not an expert at sharpening drills, then certainly go ahead and buy a drill doctor, they are as good as any. the real trick is to make sure the drill is set up in the holder correctly, and unsure you make an even number of rotations.

I finally succumbed and bout one recently as my eye sight is not as good as it once was. I was taught as an apprentice some nearly 60 years ago how to sharpen a drill properly, and have always sharpened them by hand, but I now have problems with the smaller ones, so now with my near new drill doctor I'm back in business. I still do the bigger ones by hand, especially over 1/2 inch as I only bought the 500 model.

I also recommend you learn to sharpen drills by hand it can be useful when you haven't got the drill doctor with you, I would never take one to a tech-shop, nor would I take an expensive set of drill bits or any other special tools. There will always be some who will want to borrow them , and not respect them.

Shopping at HF yesterday, I was glad for the advice about different manufacturers. The first set I looked at included two bits with mis-alligned points. Second set had 2 missing and a bad latch on the steel box. 3rd set was packed in a different thicker cardboard box, steel box was slightly different and all the bits looked good.

Thanks!

[QUOTE="royesses, post: 476063, member: 32964" I've had a drill doctor pro 500 for 20 years. It's the green vertical type that also comes in a 750 version. Getting the bit aligned in the holder and properly grabbed by the aligner clips is the secret to making it work properly. Once the bit is tightened in the holder look at the holder fingers and make sure they are not tilted by slightly loosening the holder until they straighten out. Roy[/QUOTE] Maybe it's the " 20 years ago" part that is the difference . I have a newer one from about 2 yrs ago , a 750x . I know what you mean with the aligner fingers , yet mine still is still hit and miss . Maybe the QC is not great with them now... because some people seem to have great results , while others have hit and miss results ...and I know i'm doing everything same as in the many video's ive watched . I've had about a 50/50 chance of getting a sharpened bit with a centered chisel edge. If I wasn't using it right then all my sharpened bits should be off center or not sharpened right... I get about 5-6 out of 10 that are good . I figured that in all the complaining videos the people just didn't know how to use it right. I really gave mine a chance and just didn't get the consistency. You can make sure the bit is aligned in the holder and properly grabbed by the aligner clips and still make a dud .
I put the drills that don't come out great with my Drill Doctor into a box for general uses that require less accuracy...in that sense, drill doctor is worth the money. It will definitely sharpen bits nicely for use in a hand drill or not critical drill press work,
but it's just been very hit and miss . For me, at least it's better than throwing M42 and HSS bits away.

The M42 stuff from Drill Hog is on par with anything comparable I have from Guhring and Hertel in M42 ...and can't beat his prices on the drill hog M42 12 packs , that's where the deal is, I got 12 packs in the most common sizes .
I find that for my uses, M42 the best combination of price/hardness/versatility/toughness/durability/less prone to breaking

Ebay has been good for old stock M42 and here is an empty but nice Huot index I bought for 12 bucks, eBay item number: 251815801850
Here is a 1/16 to 1/2 M42 set for 67 bucks, I use this brand and they hold up + lifetime warranty , eBay item number: 171716463352
Here's an example of his M42 12 packs, eBay item number: 181925858737

If you're considering a Drill Doctor, try and find someone that's having success and try it with them. ymmv

Last edited:
[QUOTE="royesses, post: 476063, member: 32964" I've had a drill doctor pro 500 for 20 years. It's the green vertical type that also comes in a 750 version. Getting the bit aligned in the holder and properly grabbed by the aligner clips is the secret to making it work properly. Once the bit is tightened in the holder look at the holder fingers and make sure they are not tilted by slightly loosening the holder until they straighten out.

Roy
Maybe it's the " 20 years ago" part that is the difference . I have a newer one from about 2 yrs ago , a 750x . I know what you mean with the aligner fingers , yet mine still is still hit and miss . Maybe the QC is not great with them now... because some people seem to have great results , while others have hit and miss results ...and I know i'm doing everything same as in the many video's ive watched . I've had about a 50/50 chance of getting a sharpened bit with a centered chisel edge. If I wasn't using it right then all my sharpened bits should be off center or not sharpened right... I get about 5-6 out of 10 that are good . I figured that in all the complaining videos the people just didn't know how to use it right. I really gave mine a chance and just didn't get the consistency. You can make sure the bit is aligned in the holder and properly grabbed by the aligner clips and still make a dud .
I put the drills that don't come out great with my Drill Doctor into a box for general uses that require less accuracy...in that sense, drill doctor is worth the money. It will definitely sharpen bits nicely for use in a hand drill or not critical drill press work,
but it's just been very hit and miss . For me, at least it's better than throwing M42 and HSS bits away.

The M42 stuff from Drill Hog is on par with anything comparable I have from Guhring and Hertel in M42 ...and can't beat his prices on the drill hog M42 12 packs , that's where the deal is, I got 12 packs in the most common sizes .
I find that for my uses, M42 the best combination of price/hardness/versatility/toughness/durability/less prone to breaking

Ebay has been good for old stock M42 and here is an empty but nice Huot index I bought for 12 bucks, eBay item number: 251815801850
Here is a 1/16 to 1/2 M42 set for 67 bucks, I use this brand and they hold up + lifetime warranty , eBay item number: 171716463352
Here's an example of his M42 12 packs, eBay item number: 181925858737

If you're considering a Drill Doctor, try and find someone that's having success and try it with them. ymmv[/QUOTE]

Another variable that is difficult to quantify is the amount of pressure you use to push the dill holder into the diamond wheel. I think there is where the best chance of getting the chisel edge off center comes in. I don't know of any way to make sure that the pressure is always the same when rotating the holder. It is quite difficult to push and turn then re grab and push and turn with the exact same pressures. I have also had to measure and correct many times.

Roy

Thanks for all the prompt excellent replies. This forum is great!
A quality drill bit will stay sharp when used correctly and a cheap drill bit is like a dull saw blade (cuts crooked) it drills crooked holes. Quality drill bits are easier to sharpen, the same as a high quality knife. If I can drill three or four time the number of holes yet only pay 50% more for the drill bit, to me it's a logical choice. Precision, Hout, Hertel, C-L, Viking, all make good drill bits and are comparably priced.

Back