Selling the initial investment.....

Our shops provide us with hours of learning and the ability to repair virtually anything worth fixing. Over the years I have proven this to my wife of 30 years. Keep it practical use them often (machines),and take care of your investment. In the end, our shops give us purpose, balanced with other wonderful things life has to offer.

Paco
Is that shop air conditioned? I am very familiar with Tucson heat.

We have full disclosure at my house. Plus there will be no deals when I'm dead. lol...

Sounds a lot like me. Be careful though, you may find your elevated mood is attached to the acquisition of tooling more than its use. NEW TOYS!

This is very true. I have to be REALLY aware of that when the urge for a new toy surfaces. I've had a few that I decided I wanted, pulled the trigger, ran around squealing like a 10 year old girl at a pajama party while breathlessly awaiting their arrival, got 'em, fondled 'em, put 'em away and didn't touch them again for months.

The Good News is, when I decided it was time to replace my 28 year old tractor, I sold a bunch of stuff I hadn't used in months or years and came up with $15K for a down payment on a new one. That made the whole concept MUCH easier to sell to the Chief Financial Officer...

Just tell her machining is a much better deal for all than a mistress. At least she will know where you are.

Reading these responses, I ponder the demographics. This, of course, could part of a research project done by the reputable authority using a survey conducted by a contract research firm using robo calls. Jesting aside, I find two general groupings of responses to my query. One can be characterized by "I'll do what I want, thank you very much." The other by "Go for it, love." Is this indicative of the generation divide of the hobby? If that is not a provocative question, not sure would be, aside from political musings.

Return on investment? Every time I use one of my machines, I get some return on the investment. The pleasure of being able to fabricate or repair something has value.

In another persona I've spent years buying antique and art glass that I enjoyed owning. I imagine I spent near retail for some of the pieces in my collection. I do not intend to sell any of this stuff, I'd probably loose money on it. But the pleasure of admiring the work that went into it has value, too.
When my kids sell it I won't know how much they made or lost on my investment, I won'k care.

I guess what I'm saying is that we shouldn't expect to reap a profit on something we bought to get pleasure from. If I'd invested in stocks and bonds, I'd have expected profit, not in machines or my pretty glass.

A lot depends on the person. My life since a child was building and repairing stuff. So tools are aids to help me do more and more as I evolve.
As a teen all I got for birthdays and holidays were tools. Everyone chuckled because I would get a 7 1/2 table saw for my 13th b-day or even now I’ll have parallels or gauge blocks on a Christmas list. When I get siblings ask what is it. I just say garage stuff or tools
I have a 5yr old boy that is exactly as I was. In the garage as much as he can. Loves tools and wants to be apart of everything I do. So now my initial investment is and will be for my sons inheritance. When I pass he will instantly have a full wood shop,welders,and near full machine shop with every toll and cutter I e acquired. The challenge will be teaching him everything dad knows and the value of what he see’s as normal.
I’ve wasted more money on cars and toys that don’t hold near the value of quality machines and tooling. Buy the good stuff and it’s still worth more and sellable than some of the best junk stuff too.

Back