Sewing machines anyone?

Okay, just going to clean and lubricate the 306.

Just like with other machines I’m open to lubricant suggestions. Is the old 3 in 1 oil still the way to go, or is there something better now?

John
Download the service manual while you're at it:

They're available on several web sites, that's just one of them.

I do some leather work with a Consew 225, which is a copy of the Singer, 111, which Juki copied as the 562. Really an upholstery machine with walking foot. I made a speed reducer that helped a lot. It would be fine on bags, purses etc. but is a bit light for leather. It will do 8-9 oz holsters if the stars line up right. All these have a separate v belt drive motor, either clutch or servo. The real leather machines are Cowboy Outlaw, Cobra Class 4, Tipmann Bos, in the $2500 range. There are some hand crank jobs like the Weaver Cub but they are in the $1200 range. I have a White/Westinghouse I tried on leather, too light. It is the same model Lucille Ball made a dress on the show. Sailrights are a bit light, made for canvas, but some use them on leather. Stay away from the Chinese hand crank patchers for $150 unless you want to take it apart and grind castings for a month. If you want all the pros and cons on leather machines, look at leatherworker.net.

Triflow is the popular go to with most vintage machines.

I usually just use a ND 20 or 30 weight, or an ISO equivalent....
Used TriFlow with racing kart bearings but have plenty of 20wt hydraulic oil I use with the lathe.

Guess it’s like most vintage stuff, just make sure it has oil.

I do some leather work with a Consew 225, which is a copy of the Singer, 111, which Juki copied as the 562. Really an upholstery machine with walking foot. I made a speed reducer that helped a lot. It would be fine on bags, purses etc. but is a bit light for leather. It will do 8-9 oz holsters if the stars line up right. All these have a separate v belt drive motor, either clutch or servo. The real leather machines are Cowboy Outlaw, Cobra Class 4, Tipmann Bos, in the $2500 range. There are some hand crank jobs like the Weaver Cub but they are in the $1200 range. I have a White/Westinghouse I tried on leather, too light. It is the same model Lucille Ball made a dress on the show. Sailrights are a bit light, made for canvas, but some use them on leather. Stay away from the Chinese hand crank patchers for $150 unless you want to take it apart and grind castings for a month. If you want all the pros and cons on leather machines, look at leatherworker.net.
I wish I had a 111.....hard to find round these parts. Same with their contemporaries and "clones". They get snapped up within minutes of listing. You don't stand a chance unless you're looking right at the classifieds when the seller hits "post". Sewing shops watch the want ads like hawks for working and parts machines.....

Download the service manual while you're at it:

They're available on several web sites, that's just one of them.
That’s awesome, hope I can just do maintenance and start using.

But, another rabbit hole ;)

I know where there is a like new Juki 562 with reverse but Tennessee is a long drive from Canada. Mine came from a distant in-law who worked in the factories and bought a bunch up. They come up ever so often on leatherworker.net

That’s awesome, hope I can just do maintenance and start using.

But, another rabbit hole ;)
Pretty much.

If you’re into mechanical things, sewing machines will pull you right down the hole.

They’re inexpensive and every model you look at has a different mechanism and features to learn…

I know where there is a like new Juki 562 with reverse but Tennessee is a long drive from Canada. Mine came from a distant in-law who worked in the factories and bought a bunch up. They come up ever so often on leatherworker.net
Yep. Exchange rate and shipping kills the deal on any and all cast iron bodied industrials….

How about this one?

Not familiar with the brand or that particular setup.

Looks like its set up to do a specific operation, which is common for most industrial machines that aren’t specifically for “tailoring”.

Industrial/commercial machines are often custom ordered to fit into a production line of some sort and as such, aren’t always the best choice for more generic work.

Back