Sewing machines anyone?

Not familiar with the brand or that particular setup.

Looks like its set ip to do a specific operation, which is common for most industrial machines that aren’t specifically for “tailoring”…
Yeah, it’s been listed for a while. I figured the Singer was a better bet for getting up and running quickly for the projects my wife wants to do.

Yeah, it’s been listed for a while. I figured the Singer was a better bet for getting up and running quickly for the projects my wife wants to do.
If its things like hemming pants, mending clothing and general tailoring work, the 306 is a fine choice.

The old Kenmore 158.xxx machines are also really good. They were made by “jaguar” in Japan and are very high quality. Think of them as the “Honda” of sewing machines.

I find a sewing machine is becoming more and more important to have in the home these days. Store bought clothing always seems to have poor/fraying stitches these days and needs repair shortly after being worn for any period of time.

I guess its the “race to the bottom” effect again….or maybe its just a side effect of having underage kids pump out a couple thousand pairs of jeans in a 14 hr shift.

Last edited:
If its things like hemming pants, mending clothing and general tailoring work, the 306 is a fine choice.

I find a sewing machine is becoming more and more important to have in the home these days. Store bought clothing always seems to have poor/fraying stitches these days and needs repair shortly after being worn for any period of time.

I guess its the “race to the bottom” effect again….
The wife wants to make cotton bags for
shopping and gifts. I’m hoping this one is tough enough to do canvas covers and the like. It was only $65 so easy to justify, if I get into it further I’ll keep my eye out for something I can repair sails with. Hope to get back into sailing next year.

John

The wife wants to make cotton bags for
shopping and gifts. I’m hoping this one is tough enough to do canvas covers and the like. It was only $65 so easy to justify, if I get into it further I’ll keep my eye out for something I can repair sails with. Hope to get back into sailing next year.

John
Yep, should be fine. Should do a decent job on canvas too. Just don’t make it a steady diet.

A lot of “sailors” covet the Pfaff 130 for sewing sail canvas. Lots of them were converted to handle crank so they could be taken aboard ship for in situ repairs.

I’ve never sewn sails, but my understanding is you want a zig zag stitch for repairing/making sails…don’t quote me on that though.

Last edited:
I have an old singer industrial machine I used for making Seasrch and Rescue bags, and sundry climbing tape apparatus. (none for humans to hang on, don't worry about that) It has a 1 HP motor on it(!!)...

So is $600 OBO a good price for a 130?

1672186343993.jpeg

So is $600 OBO a good price for a 130?

View attachment 431235
Seems a bit high to me. There’s two available locally here for 200 bucks a pop.

That one looks to be in better shape though.

Keep in mind that a 130 is still considered a “domestic” machine.

For 600 bucks I would think you’re in decent shape industrial machine range. Used that is.

Keep in mind if you want to make sails a commercial machine might be a better choice just because they usually have more clearance under the harp, which means it’s easier to pass heavier and bunched up fabric through it. Sometimes its necessary to pass a big wad of fabric through the harp, like when continuously sewing four sides of a large piece like a sail. Size of the bobbin is also important if doing long runs, like on a sail panels. Nothing sucks more than to get halfway through a long run and run out of bottom thread on the stitch. Commercial units tend to have larger bobbins that hold more thread.

Its more important to match the machines capabiliies to your intended use than fix on a particular brand or model…same idea as a mill or lathe.

Last edited:
Hi Great White, what size is than Dob I spy in the background?
Do you get to use it much?

Hi Great White, what size is than Dob I spy in the background?
Do you get to use it much?
10” Skywatcher. Haven’t gotten a chance to use it much lately. Last thing I used it for was observing sunspots through a baader film solar filter.

Last edited:
I just picked a Pfaff 130 for free. It was all froze up with dried up oil/grease from not being used for years. Oiled the heck out of it and with some careful persuasion everything freed up. Picked up a new belt and new brushes for the motor and it just hums like a well oiled machine. I wanted it for the zigzag stitch for sail and canvas repair on my sailboat. I had been using my grandmother's Singer. Straight stitch is not the best for sails because it can create a zipper line that the sail will tear on.

Years ago when my grandmother was down sizing I grabbed her old Singer. It was hard to use. Only seemed like it had one speed. Fast. Took it into a local repair shop. Got told to get some Singer oil and only Singer oil and oil the heck out of it. That made a world of difference. I also learned that the machine was somewhat unique in America. It had been made in Germany before WWII and after the war Singer imported them into the US.

I also have a modern computerized Brother. Got it from my daughter to repair my elderly mom's clothes when I was taking care of her. Not heavy duty but for making repairs on clothes it is great. My daughter has absolutely no interest in sewing. She had got the Brother as a Xmas one year and never even took it out of the box.

Back