Shaft seal, anodizing, re-surfacing

EPOXY can be used, but not the box store kind, there are good ones, not cheap.

We have some made for repairing HVAC condenser and evaporator coils, aluminum and high pressure, just what you need.

Clean with acetone.
tq60: Can you perhaps give a brand/pointer/suggestion of where to purchase such epoxy?

Mill Lee Farm: Wow...that alodine is pricey!

How big are the scratches? My eye isn't that good, but I suppose that a couple might be 3 thousandths deep. The snap-ring grooves in the photo above are a bit less than a half-inch apart, because two 7mm-thick bearings fit between them, so that gives you a sense of what we're dealing with.

Precision-ground stones? after a little reading, those sound pretty cool, but gosh that's a lot of $$ for something I'll use only once!
Speedy-sleeves are a nice thought, too, but I'm working in an area near the ocean, where everything rusts. :(

Mill Lee Farm: Wow...that alodine is pricey!

Precision-ground stones? after a little reading, those sound pretty cool, but gosh that's a lot of $$ for something I'll use only once!

I never understood the insane price for the alodine pen… maybe because its the super hazardous, burn your sinuses and lungs, give you cancer and destroy your kidneys while messing with your central nervous system good stuff that the govt uses??? IDK.
There are many formulations though. Still pricey but much better than the pen.
Remember, this can be used on all bare aluminum in your “close to the ocean” environment ;)
It’s also an extremely good primer before paint

Gallon of 1201 for $69

The best deal for ‘us’ seems to be the clear Bonderite 1001 quart at MRO Supply. $30 (but $20 shipping)

As for the precision ground stones, if you’re in this forum you will find tons of uses for them. On everything that is supposed to be a flat (steel/iron) surface. Watch all the YouTube vids on them o_O

I couldn’t afford the stones from the major players… so I got a pair off ebay.. (guilt) They are extremely nice and its very obvious when they hit something. You feel drag and hear it. They make a different sound altogether when something is sticking up.

Anyway, I can’t say I have alodine or bonderite at home (yet! Hadn’t seen that MRO Supply!)… but we use it at work here all the time. (& yes, it’s a federal felony if I take anything home! :eek: That includes trash…)

Here is what we have.

About 30 bucks, cures real slow but should do what you need.

You can carefully finish with file ofinal polish with wet sanding.
e1aaae3ebd9a183a6a4b1a5e88033b29.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Send it out to a hard chrome shop. It will come back 60 Rockwell C with a mirror finish.

Thanks, everyone, for your help. I used epoxy, wet sanded to make a smooth landing for the seals (and to fill some gouges elsewhere), reassembled, and it seems to be fine. Only time will tell, of course, but I sure appreciate what I learned here thinking about this problem.

I don't know the size or p/n of your seal...but would a "speedi-sleeve" work for you here?

That fortified epoxy is great stuff. I used to put it in the in ground car hoist packing glands and machine to size as a guide bearing. The surface finish will wear on the seal over time.

If you have the wall thickness, turn it down and press on a steel sleeve.

Back