Shaper Scraping Help

Three points. The wood wedge and the triangle file was ingenious

That was not my idea, we were looking for something to "bridge under there and Lance saw it laying on the table and slid it under there....we all giggled. It woorked and you should have seen John Terry's face when we checked the flats twisst with the King Way.... When I waslked out there they just had it sitting upside down on a scissors table on the top flat grove where you adjust the stroke. Keith had a King-way he had bought off Ebay and checked for twist. It was twisted .008" from one end to the other, approx. 6'. Then I had them saw the 6 x 6 with a V to be the 2 points, Then set the other end on the short 1 x 2 oak board under the top flat grove and checked it again. It was off .004" Then I said lets "bridge it" and thats when Lance found the file. He snickered sort of making fun of me for saying it would get better. John the owner is a raw rookie but a decent machinist and after we set it one the file bridge and checked it again, John was in shock that it was only .0015". Jeff what is the answer I am fishing for about Pete's granite plate?

Lets say your there advising him on rebuilding his machine. Be a detective. Look at the set up on the other thread where he has the granite plate on a table or bennch and then he is testing the ram. What is missing or what should check to see is there?

If you are referring to the pic where the ram is sitting on the granite on an oval table?( --3187E1.jpeg)
I'm not sure what he is doing there other than pivoting it to make sure it is hinging properly?
What's missing?

The pic where he has it on the granite plate and is using a test indicator with the block )9093FBE.jpeg he seems to have it sitting on the granite placed at the machined surface where the travel lock is.
It should be on 3 points and parallel to the granite. If he is testing to see if one side is out of plane with the other, I don't think this is the best way.

I want to know if the surface plate is sitting on 3 points (rubber pads)....... Looks like it's sitting in the table to me and no pads

I think I get the idea of the indicator, what you are trying to do. But not sure what the indicator is really indicating there, seems it would depend on how true the top slot is (turned over). If it were angled a bit one side to the other you'd scrape that angle in to the ways to compensate. Maybe ought to use a small parallel or gage block to bridge surface variation on the ways, just measuring high and low spots as it is.

Pete, as Richard mentioned, put some bluing dye on the surface plate, see how the part hinges and how the blue gets wiped on to the ways. I think that will tell you better than the indicator.

I want to know if the surface plate is sitting on 3 points (rubber pads)....... Looks like it's sitting in the table to me and no pads
Yes, I had the surface plate sitting directly on the table-not on 3 pads. Yikes, so much to know!
I'll put the surface plate on 3 pads. And then put the ram on 3 points (like your photos) to check if the two flat ram ways are on the same plane. But I see Jeff mentions that there is a better method to check if they are on the same plane. What's is that better method?

Past photo of the ram ways printed from the surface plate.

Attachments

• ram_IMG_3711.jpg
    ram_IMG_3711.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 18
Pete, we don't really care if the slot is flat and parallel with anything, just the ways. There should be some information here or on youtube about 'hinging' the part, it should swivel on each end about 30% in from the ends. If it does, it's flat. And if it's flat, they are on the same plane.

Stefan Gottswinter talks about hinging in the beginning of this video;

I'll be interested to see how you test the angled surface of the dovetail (male) to see if they are consistent to the flat ways.

I'm impressed with your effort. That will be a cool machine with a cool story when you are done.

Back