Sharp Milling Machine with Tooling

aluminum

Registered
Registered
Hi folks. I'm going to look at this machine on Monday and am considering purchasing it. Asking price is $4800 with some included tooling and a vise. Your advice is appreciated. I have a little experience using a comparable Bridgeport mill, but not a lot of machining experience. I already have a lathe, fyi.

I spoke to the owner and he owns a business that manufactures custom medical furniture but has not been producing for years. He doesn't know much about the machine except he said it's about 15-20 years old. I am meeting with their machinist on Monday to get a look at the machine and get more info.

Thank you in advance for info and recommendations.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231202-221351.png
    Screenshot_20231202-221351.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 152
The Sharp mills are very good in some cases they are considered a bit better than the Briddgeport. They are made in Taiwan by the First Company and are sold under different brand names, I have the Acra version and been very satisfied with it. Main thing would be looking for wear and that the Reeves drive is quiet and seems smooth.. They only came with 3 phase motors so you would need 3 phase power either from a VFD, RPC or something like a Phase Perfect digital converter. VFD install is pretty simple and cost effective for a single machine, multiple machines probably better off with something like a Phase Perfect Simple 3 phase converter. Some people also may consider a static converter.

Sharps are nice mills . What's he throwing in as far as tooling ? Vise . Indexer shown ? Collets . End mill holders etc ? Being a small shop I wouldn't think it would be worn but yes , check for wear as mksj said . I would offer 3G for the machine alone and go from there with the tooling depending on the brands of tooling . Is the vise a Kurt or import . Is the indexer a Hardinge or a knock off . $4800 seems a little high but not knowing the availability of machines in the area it may be reasonable . Good luck , and keep us posted . :encourage:

Sharps are nice mills . What's he throwing in as far as tooling ? Vise . Indexer shown ? Collets . End mill holders etc ? Being a small shop I wouldn't think it would be worn but yes , check for wear as mksj said . I would offer 3G for the machine alone and go from there with the tooling depending on the brands of tooling . Is the vise a Kurt or import . Is the indexer a Hardinge or a knock off . $4800 seems a little high but not knowing the availability of machines in the area it may be reasonable . Good luck , and keep us posted . :encourage:
Thanks. I'll find out more details tomorrow.

Make sure you test the Prototrak control; if that all works out then price is in the ballpark (a little high, but it is in the ballpark for a 2-axis NC knee mill)

The quickest test for the PT: use the Jog option. You can then use the X/Y buttons to rapid the table; press the +/- button to change directions. The table should rapid (99ipm IIRC) w/o any issues, stumbles, or errors on the display. I don't see any limit switches, so just make sure you don't overtravel the table. And make sure the table locks aren't on.

If the PT is not working: plan on $$$ to fix and knock the price accordingly.

Here's the Manual for the PT A.G.E. 2

Make sure you test the Prototrak control; if that all works out then price is in the ballpark (a little high, but it is in the ballpark for a 2-axis NC knee mill)

The quickest test for the PT: use the Jog option. You can then use the X/Y buttons to rapid the table; press the +/- button to change directions. The table should rapid (99ipm IIRC) w/o any issues, stumbles, or errors on the display. I don't see any limit switches, so just make sure you don't overtravel the table. And make sure the table locks aren't on.

If the PT is not working: plan on $$$ to fix and knock the price accordingly.

Here's the Manual for the PT A.G.E. 2
Excellent. Thank you

Excellent advice above. I would disagree with price comments. In your area if you are getting everything in picture, especially the prototrac, that's a great deal.

Noob question: I think the answer is yes but don't want to assume: Does/Can the Prototrak also function as a DRO for manual use of the milling machine? Would it be worth putting it in that mode to check the scale or would the jog test mentioned above effectively test the scales?

Been an awful long time since I've run a Prototrak but it does function as a DRO . Manual programming these are a breeze also . I didn't notice the unit on your original post , but , if it is functionable , that mill would be a keeper . For 10 years I ran a Makino CNC lathe with a BP ProtoTrac mill 5 feet behind me . I thought it was the ultimate set-up . Wish I had these today . :(

I'm a computer guy and, while I am looking for a manual mill as opposed to CNC, I think the NC aspect would be perfect for me: A perfect balance between manual simplicity and (when desired) automation without sitting in front of a modern computer screen.

Back