Sharp Milling Machine with Tooling

So the mill looks to be 100% operational and in good shape. The Prototrak control works well and there is even a Z scale digital readout (although not power feed).
There is a nice and large Kurt vise included. The included tooling is limited to the collet set in the first photo and a cabinet full of worn and beaten endmills, parallels, in a nice but very weathered cabinet. The cabinet with tooling has been sitting outdoors under a tarp for 5 years here in Colorado and looks terrible, but it is included.

The biggest issue for me is the depth of this machine. The head is on a dovetail in order to be able to extend the head, however I have no need for that extension and it makes it very deep. Is it possible or practical for me to shorten this part in order to save depth?

Link to additional photos

Attachments

• IMG_20231204_134404557~2.jpg
    IMG_20231204_134404557~2.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
That is pretty standard for that type of design, see the newer version 5V below. If your spending that much on a mill you might consider the Acra LCM-42 or 50, in a pulley head version or Reeves drive you are probably looking at around 6-7K if you deal directly with Acra and not a distributor. They also sell a factory VFD model that will run off of single or 3 phase, which is what I have. A lot of the tooling/extra's are often pretty much beaten up in many cases or ancient stuff.

LCM-42 with Maxi Torque-Rite 1.jpg

You pay for the depth of a knee mill . Yes , the ram out the back takes up room , but there are optionable heads for this . Shaper heads , cherrying heads , etc . For Gods sake don't cut it off . One shot lube , working PT , some tooling maybe not the best . Worth considering in the least . FWIW , the new import tooling is cheap . You could probably tool this up for $500 or so if you would choose the import route . Not a bad deal .

Sounds like the tooling is mostly junk. But a Vidmar cabinet? Not a bad addition even if the top is a bit rusty. One thing I forgot: I'd have to imagine it definitely has ball screws for X and Y, but worth double-checking.

Assuming you checked out major items like table, ways, spindle feed, TIR and those are reasonably OK: I'd give him an offer. If you got it for 4k you'd probably not lose money in the future if you sell it.

The 2-axis NC is very handy*; "Do One" bolt hole patterns, arcs, circles, & pockets are something I use regularly - beats using a rotary table. You can also get this to send/rec'v code from a PC. I'd avoid an FTDI solution (USB-to-RS232); it can be finicky. I do believe that CAM is possible if you're willing to put some time in; the post-processor is very similar to a Fanuc (I think). I can elaborate more if you do end up getting it. The only down-side IMO is that basic power feed is a bit more cumbersome than if you had the manual powered units on X-Y. But I'd still take the NC any day; ball screws have much less slop and no headaches climb milling.

*after a while though, you'll lust for a 3axis CNC. :grin:

My goodness @aluminum, BUY IT if you already haven't. I have the same exact mill, including the ProtoTrak A.G.E. 2 system. These are very solid machines and at the price of $4800, it's a steal. No really. I am not sure where these guys are coming up with saying it is too much money, it's not. I paid $6200 a year and a half ago, I felt like I got a deal, and mine came with nothing. There was another one that went on auction for just shy of $8k, and again, no tooling.
I am going to convert mine to 3 axis at some point by utilizing the quill. There is a member on here that is going to help me out. I also plan on ripping that system off and converting it to a Centroid system. If I was close to you I would have already bought that mill out from under you. :oops:

EDIT: I just looked and it appears I am about 16 hours from you. I have Friday and Saturday off.... Just sayin'
:oops:

/\/\/\ I'm with Neil . Pack up the pick up . :grin:

Unfortunately I don't have room for this behemoth. I know I will be kicking myself, but I have to wait for a smaller machine to come around. This is definitely a heck of a deal.

Unfortunately I don't have room for this behemoth. I know I will be kicking myself, but I have to wait for a smaller machine to come around. This is definitely a heck of a deal.
Make room. LOL
I have mine in a corner, which allows for the portion of the head that is on the dovetail ways to sit further back. The only drawback would be if you are going to work on something rather long it would interfere with the walls, but I have yet to have that problem.
You are seriously going to kick yourself down the road. Finding a smaller mill to save some space might be challenging. I agree that this mill is quite large, but the rigidity that goes along with that is awesome. Also, someone on this website did a comparison of a "large" mill like the Sharp and a smaller Bridgeport. In the end, it really wasn't much different. Now, if you are talking benchtop mill, well, that is in a completely (lower) league.

Funny how prices vary in different regions. I feel like decent mills like this are in the 4-4.5k range up here (if you are a bit patient). But other equipment is pricier up here vs. other areas of the US. I didn't say it was a bad buy at all; especially w/ a vidmar.

I also think you should do what you can to make it fit. Like I said: worst case is a wash money-wise in the future. You're only out the moving effort. A drop trailer rental is about $175. Pallet jack, johnson bar, some cribbing to get it up on a beefy pallet: done.

Make room. LOL
I have mine in a corner, which allows for the portion of the head that is on the dovetail ways to sit further back. The only drawback would be if you are going to work on something rather long it would interfere with the walls, but I have yet to have that problem.
You are seriously going to kick yourself down the road. Finding a smaller mill to save some space might be challenging. I agree that this mill is quite large, but the rigidity that goes along with that is awesome. Also, someone on this website did a comparison of a "large" mill like the Sharp and a smaller Bridgeport. In the end, it really wasn't much different. Now, if you are talking benchtop mill, well, that is in a completely (lower) league.
I was willing to move my 9ft workbench in the front corner of my garage, but even if I were to chop the back of the mill (which I wouldn't want to do) it would stick out almost 60" from the corner and I wouldn't be able to get.my truck in the garage. It would also not be enough side clearance for the table to the walls. I would also lose almost the entire workbench.

Last edited:
Back