Sharpening End Mills

I've had good luck with my Deckel clone. I got a lot of good grade but dulled end mills with my old mill and was able to get them all working like new. And brought all my cheap Chinese EM's up to snuff. I find it useful to be able to sharpen them for a specific job like no 1deg dish but flat on the end to be able to face a new steering knuckle bushing on my wife's trike. Different cutting angles for different metals from brass, cast iron to steels. I also have found the factory cuts on the EM's were not that even or well done. Not surprising I guess.

I'm sure I've not recouped my loss from buying the sharpener but more than once was glad I had it because it was the weekend and was deep into a project and needed to sharpen a EM because I didn't have a spare and being in a place where I can't just go down and get another and nobody sharpens them around here. It's hard to keep track of how much I've saved when I don't have to buy new EM's.

I have been using a Deckel clone on my surface grinder for nearly 8 years. I'm sure it's a Chinese knock off, but it seems to work well. As mentioned it can only be used to sharpen the ends, not the flutes. To get through the learning curve I bought a lot of damaged end mills on eBay. If I recall correctly I got a couple dozen different sizes and flute configurations for less than a dollar each. I practiced on them until I felt comfortable I wouldn't ruin my good mills. There was a good write up on using this style fixture on the Practical Machinist website a few years ago. It's probably still available in the archives

If I have some that need the flutes sharpened I general send them to Thompson Grinders in Ixonia WI.:
http://thompsongrind.com/

Last time I sent a batch out I had to call for prices. Prices are dependent on size, number of flutes, flute configuration, material, coatings, and extent of damage. In most cases it's cheaper to replace 5/16" and under than to have them resharpened. In the past it has taken about a week or so for turn around. Just keep in mind a small and possibly single time customer is lower on the priority list than a large account that sends in hundreds of mills a month.

7milesup, did you ever build the ATCO T&C grinder? I have been curious if people that buy any of their plans actually build the machines.

7milesup, did you ever build the ATCO T&C grinder? I have been curious if people that buy any of their plans actually build the machines.

Well, life seems to have gotten in the way. I purchased the plans and was gearing up to get started and then.... We sold our house unexpectedley. Wasn't even on the market. So I am currently in the process of building a new house and new shop. The shop will be bigger at a 36x36 size dedicated to my toys (tools). I am the general for the house so 100% of my time has been devoted to that.

I will get back to the Atco project but it is going to be a while.

For those (jroma1?) of you that are considering the wedge type sharpening fixture, there is one only video from a youtuber that shows how to use one... on a surface grinder. Still quite useful:

I have been using a Deckel clone on my surface grinder for nearly 8 years. I'm sure it's a Chinese knock off, but it seems to work well. As mentioned it can only be used to sharpen the ends, not the flutes. To get through the learning curve I bought a lot of damaged end mills on eBay. If I recall correctly I got a couple dozen different sizes and flute configurations for less than a dollar each. I practiced on them until I felt comfortable I wouldn't ruin my good mills.

I did the same, bought a big eBay lot of previously resharpened Niagra end mills and ground them until I knew what I was doing. It didn't take long before I had a pile of sharp end mills. Flutes can be sharpened quite easily using the 5c flute attachment (spin fixture) that comes with the Shars unit. It takes some trial and error to hit a tool diameter dimension when sharpening flutes, but for general purpose end mills it does very well. The only thing I freehand is the center gash, but that can be done in the fixture too.

I try to buy old new lots on eBay. I have found name brand never used in big lots....so when they wear out, I toss them...HSS as well as carbide.

Hey firstgeqar, I'd be happy to pay postage for an international box for your dull end mills!

Back