Sharpening tools

ed crumbpacker

Registered
Registered
So here's my first question. Whenever I see anybody talk about sharpening anything (lathe tools or other) they run over to a grinder and free hand it or use the rickety L-bracket tool rest held on by a hex nut. Since you have a precision machine in a lathe or mill, why not chuck up a grinding wheel, put the tool in some type of tool post, and, running the machine at a slow speed, use the lead screw/cross slide to create a perfectly straight precision edge or better yet compound edges? (I realize you need some type of safety shield for doing this.) What am I missing?

Why would you even consider using an abrasive wheel on a precision machine tool? Those bits of abrasive grit WILL get all over your machine, even if you cover it, and that will lead to premature wear that is totally unnecessary. Besides, with even a little bit of experience it is simple to grind a lathe tool with clean edges. Moreover, if you actually understand what you're grinding, a belt sander or bench grinder can grind any tool geometry you require with little issue.

I understand why you want to do this but I dont think your lathe ways are going to like this...... I like using my surface grinder to resharpen tools its very fast and accurate, usually only need to dust about .005" off to get a sharp edge again.......

Not a good idea Ed . If I can get Aukai to load a pic , I'll show you why ! ;)

So I just sent Mike a picture of the Clausing in here at work that I brought into my shop . This is what happens when you have a bunch of amatuer butchers using a precision piece of equipment . The ways are no longer ways ..........................................they're waves ! :bang head::ban:

So I just sent Mike a picture of the Clausing in here at work that I brought into my shop . This is what happens when you have a bunch of amatuer butchers using a precision piece of equipment . The ways are no longer ways ..........................................they're waves ! :bang head::ban:

I need to see this :grin big:

If I told you how I feel about it ( on this site ) , I would be permanently BANNED !

Trust me when I say we all understand....... Half my machines came from the previous owners with all the ways packed full of grease, absolutely no oil anywhere.....

Thanks Mike . :encourage: Now , about the lathe ...................ain't this some $h** . This is what I come into on nightshift every night . If they had to buy a new lathe out of THEIR pocketbook , I would think these idIOts would respect the machine a little more .

Back