Sharpening tools

@tjb - I've heard that cast iron can be really nasty and that it can create a lot of nasty, abrasive dust. I've only turned cast once (face plate) and it didn't create that much of a mess. I agree - one should take appropriate precautions for the long term protection of their lathe - whatever they are turning or grinding.

The original poster was specifically asking about grinding / sharpening tools. It seems that tool sharpening would not be removing a lot of material and maybe using a small wheel on a tool post grinder wouldn't make as much of a mess and turning cast iron. Position a shop vac really close to suck all the dust up at the source maybe. Protection and clean up shouldn't be that bad.

What do people do when they use tool post grinders? and what to they use them for?

The original poster was specifically asking about grinding / sharpening tools. It seems that tool sharpening would not be removing a lot of material and maybe using a small wheel on a tool post grinder wouldn't make as much of a mess and turning cast iron. Position a shop vac really close to suck all the dust up at the source maybe. Protection and clean up shouldn't be that bad.

What do people do when they use tool post grinders? and what to they use them for?

I suppose it comes down to a personal choice. While you CAN sharpen tools on your lathe with a grinding wheel, why do that and risk your lathe when other machines and methods can do it better? A bench or belt grinder, a little skill and you're done.

A tool post grinder is an attractive attachment but it is most commonly used to produce precision dimensions on hardened material. How often do you do that? They can also be used to true up chuck jaws; how often do you do that? I don't own a tool post grinder but it was an intellectual choice not to buy one because I weighed the risk to my lathe vs the situations listed above.

If you own a tool post grinder and wish to take the chances with your lathe then go for it. Lots of other hobby guys do this so you aren't alone.

If you own a tool post grinder and wish to take the chances with your lathe then go for it. Lots of other hobby guys do this so you aren't alone.

Ha! It came with the lathe. So far all I've done with it is make an attachment to hold an 60 deg engraving bit and then use it to cut threads on wood parts.

This thread got me thinking about using it as an actual grinder. Apparently, hardly anyone grinds on their lathes. I did see one of the YouTube guys use a grinder on the inside of a cylinder that needed to be precise

I suppose it comes down to a personal choice. While you CAN sharpen tools on your lathe with a grinding wheel, why do that and risk your lathe when other machines and methods can do it better? A bench or belt grinder, a little skill and you're done.

A tool post grinder is an attractive attachment but it is most commonly used to produce precision dimensions on hardened material. How often do you do that? They can also be used to true up chuck jaws; how often do you do that? I don't own a tool post grinder but it was an intellectual choice not to buy one because I weighed the risk to my lathe vs the situations listed above.

I rigged up a Dremel to grind chuck jaws, probably never use it again.
Very messy and lots of clean-up afterwards..........

The original poster was specifically asking about grinding / sharpening tools.
Yeah, I caught that. Like I mentioned, I have no experience with tool post grinders. But the thread rather rapidly expanded to issues of grinding dust in general. That's the part I was commenting on.

Regards

A tool post grinder can't be beat for grinding jaws in situ but for sharpening tools there are so many other better machines designed for that type of work. How useful a tool post grinder can be depends on the jobs you have to do. I have only used mine once in seven years but I like having it on hand if it is ever needed again.

I can attest to the fact that when turning cast material, dust is created that gets everywhere - nooks and crannies in your equipment that you didn't even know existed.

It's true , cast iron is so nice to turn but the mess can be insane.

:)

Stu

Relating to the original question, Joe Pie has a video showing making a hex (I think) rotary broach with a cupped grinding wheel held in the mill spindle. He lived. So did the mill.

Back