Shars Deckel Clone-Unboxing?

frugalguido

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Received my Blackfriday special yesterday and thought I should ask other owners, what is the easiest way to get this things out go the box? I didn't just did want to grab the tool head or handles and pull. I was thinking about just cutting the box down the sides and sliding the thing out.

+1, that's what I did. Cut the slides off the box and slid it out. Mine's still on the styrofoam bottom. Still trying to decide the best way to get it off the foam.... Cut the foam or wait for someone to help me lift it off.

Dam this thing is heavy and awkward to pull straight up, I think here comes the box cutter. Hey DAT510, would that be Datsun 510?

good idea on cutting, I once lifted something out from the top and broke it. It fell to the ground.
Horrible packing , there should have been a warning..

The only way to remove it was to cut it open.. WHO KNEW.

Stefan G has some good videos on using the Deckel knock off.
You will want a few diamond wheels to go with it. Buy the carbide D bit blanks already having the ends split ground.
There is one thing, that isn't apparent, worth noting. The top rotating pivot can be moved past the zero stop by pulling out a small pin. Handy for some grinding angles.
It takes some time to figure out all the adjustments.
I bought the model with 5C collets.
Grinding an endmill to center cut may be possible but I haven't mastered it. 2, 3 or 4 flute end mills can be sharpened but more flutes don't work.
I will use a Dremel to take out the center when required.
It is possible to grind the flutes. There is a good video for that. The trick involves using a small spacer to shift the bit. I'll probably get blasted for this but: I'll use a diamond wheel on HSS if that's what I have. It will degrade the wheel over time. Wheels are fairly cheap but my Shars takes 1 1/4" bore and they are not as common as others.

Hey DAT510, would that be Datsun 510?
Yes. Another affliction I have in addition to Machining and Building Things!

EV0G8521.jpg

Sonoma Raceway

Last edited:
Had a 260z 2+2 and a 1200 in my youth. My 78 Honda Civic was built to take on the 510's at Sears Point, it did well in the rain;)

John

I too just received my Shars grinder (Black Friday 20% off :cool:). I wound up cutting down the sides of the box to get it out. I then wiped it down with mineral spirits to remove the cosmoline (or whatever it is). I used the included 8mm cap screw and a spare 5 mm hex wrench to make a hub removal tool like Robin Renzetti demonstrated on his video a while back.
0089377F-BE4E-4A91-960A-2CD3F0B91302.jpeg

I’ve since been disassembling it a bit at a time to clean all of the grit and swarf from all of the moving joints :rolleyes: I’ve heard of the phenomenon of Chinese machinery being assembled dirty, but this is my first experience with it myself. Frankly, I expected better of this particular machine, but I can’t say I’m surprised.

Yes. Another affliction I have in addition to Machining and Building Things!

View attachment 387856
Sonoma Raceway
Hey, a NorCal Datsun guy. We probably have a few friends in common. I've known 'Rawb' Fuller at Z-Car Garage since just after he moved out here from Georgia. His shop is ground-zero for Datsun people on your side of the bay. I photographed a few of his cars for magazine stories back in his early days.

Nice looking dime.

Back