Shars Deckel Clone-Unboxing?

Can you go into detail on what you are cleaning. Did you disassemble it to look for the grit and swarf? Mine appears to be on the outside pretty clean, actually it looks pretty good for Chinese IMHO.

After removing the wheel & hub that came installed on it, it was evident that the hole was packed with swarf. It took several Q-tips soaked with mineral spirits to clean it out.

There was also a definite grittiness I could feel when moving the quill in and out. I removed it and wiped out the bore in the casting. I also deburred the feed screw with a scotch brite wheel, as there were some quite sharp burs on the threads. The hardest part of removing the quill is getting the little brass disk out of the locking screw hole. I turned the machine upside down to dump it out, but this was obviously laborious due to the weight of the machine. If I had stopped and thought about it for a minute, I would have tried fishing it out with some adhesive on the end of a small rod.

I’m now down to cleaning the dovetails on the work head. I’ve found several pieces of swarf in there.

After removing the wheel & hub that came installed on it, it was evident that the hole was packed with swarf. It took several Q-tips soaked with mineral spirits to clean it out.

There was also a definite grittiness I could feel when moving the quill in and out. I removed it and wiped out the bore in the casting. I also deburred the feed screw with a scotch brite wheel, as there were some quite sharp burs on the threads. The hardest part of removing the quill is getting the little brass disk out of the locking screw hole. I turned the machine upside down to dump it out, but this was obviously laborious due to the weight of the machine. If I had stopped and thought about it for a minute, I would have tried fishing it out with some adhesive on the end of a small rod.

I’m now down to cleaning the dovetails on the work head. I’ve found several pieces of swarf in there.
I would take it all apart. you'll be glad you did.
They are kits, they don't debur, or cleanup their swarf.

after you do the finish work:
you will know the machine
you will have a better machine.

I've known 'Rawb' Fuller at Z-Car Garage since just after he moved out here from Georgia
Yes, I known Rob for many years too, from before he started Z-Car Garage. Kermit, his Green SR20DET 510 is super nice and fast. You and I have probably met sometime in the past at the Shasta Meets.

I got my Sheckel using Shar's Black Friday deal as well and am in the process of setting up. It looks like it woudl profit from a bit more cleaning.

I am seeing a lot of 20mm arbor diamond wheels on ebay/ali. Has anyone found a good source for 20mm wheel adapters or is that a DIY project (like Stefan Gotteswinter) for some future day?

SHARS sells them for less than the time and material cost to do yourself.

When I purchased the black friday clone, I purchased an 19mm adapter from Shars for a diamond wheel that I have been storing for ever.

I would love to buy them from Shars, unfortunately they only have 3/4” and 1.25” ones. No 20 mm. I am thinking of just machining down a 1.25 one to 20 mm. Maybe the easiest and not that much more than material.

Back