Shars X-axis Power Feed Anyone?

Why is that ? There are PF's that mount horizontal to the table for the smaller mills.

ALSGS-ALB-310-200RPM-450in-lb110V-220V-Horizontal-font-b-Power-b-font-font-b-feed.jpg

ALSGS-ALB-310-200RPM-450in-lb110V-220V-Horizontal-font-b-Power-b-font-font-b-feed.jpg

From what I've read, the drive screw are a different size, and people have to machine replacement spindles and other parts. And I'm pretty sure I'm not up to that challenge, yet.

Where did you see that horizontal unit?

They are available at various retailers... I just picked a picture off of google just to show as an example. I think Shars might sell them too.

What's the screw size on yours?

I found this guy mounted a PF on his Rockwell... There has to be an easier way, or at least a model that will work out of the box with a Rockwell.

Last edited:
I've read that article a number of times. Well out of my range!

AFAIK, there is nothing out the box that will work.

From that article, that guy went way out of his way to make the table bracket IMHO. It wouldnt be hard for someone with a lathe to cut that extension. See if there is someone on here, or check your local shops to see what it would cost. I know the reason they gave me for my extension costing so much was the time to cut it... $127.

Okay I finally finished the drawing. I am not an expert so use this drawing at your own risk. I used digital calipers to make the measurements and literally checked them three or four times for accuracy.

BP Leadescrew Extension.gif

Attachments

• Visio-BP Leadescrew Extension.pdf
    189 KB · Views: 14
And of course it always happens to me... I published the document and then I found a missing measurement.... Arrggg ! :bang head:

I missed the 1.25" drill hole measurement. The drill hole is in red on the left.

Hope this will help someone !

BP Leadescrew Extension.gif

Attachments

• Visio-BP Leadescrew Extension.pdf
    189.2 KB · Views: 16
I installed a shars on my z axis of my mill up and down very happy with it no problems hace used mills with Bridgeport x axis power feed and servo brands and hasv found no difference in performance yet anyway time will tell ( you can almost buy 3 shars to 1 servo ) bill

Well I got mine 90% installed. I stopped for now because I am running into a problem. The adapter shaft I diagramed above is slipping back and forth on the ACME threaded shaft. I either need to install some shims or drill/tap it for a set screw.

For greater table travel on bench type mill in most cases full table travel
I have this on my mill and works great
On most knee mills the table travel is reduced with power feed on small mills you have no extra room on table travel

Dave

Why is that ? There are PF's that mount horizontal to the table for the smaller mills.

Back