Sheetmetal dreams.

some of the most ingenious solutions i have seen or made, have been due to absence of proper parts or lack of major funding.
limitations often create something greater than what is confined by the limitation

You know Tony, it is a pity we don't have a metal fabrication forum here on HM, I'm sure there are a few members who are very much interested in it, I would love to pick their brains and learn a few thing along the way.
Maybe it is time to take a poll and find out what percentage of hobbyist here, are actually active in metal fabrication but stay quiet in the background and do their own projects without being able to share them publicly or ask guidance from the more seasoned fabricators.
What do you guys think?
I’ll admit I was hesitant to post this but my rational was there was a LOT of machining that went into modding and making the dies etc. It will be interesting to see if anybody chimes in on this Ken. I’ll admit I have a hard time keeping up with all the sub forums here, it’s pretty overwhelming.

You know Tony, it is a pity we don't have a metal fabrication forum here on HM, I'm sure there are a few members who are very much interested in it, I would love to pick their brains and learn a few thing along the way.
Maybe it is time to take a poll and find out what percentage of hobbyist here, are actually active in metal fabrication but stay quiet in the background and do their own projects without being able to share them publicly or ask guidance from the more seasoned fabricators.
What do you guys think?
I would third the motion to sub

limitations often create something greater than what is confined by the limitation
Man is that true! The problem I’ve had most of my life was not having even a garage and no machine tools. This kind of stuff takes at least a minimum investment and then you can fly. My cheap heart was happy to find a 9x20 and an old clapped out RF30 for next to nothing. And there are those who don’t see them as anything, but since it doesn’t need to fly and I’ve not gotten that contract with NASA yet, they get ‘er done.

the truly skilled can make just about anything from nearly nothing
Again true. Watching the masters I’ve mentioned along with David Gardiner and his dvd Learn the art of Traditional Sheetmetal Work is a goldmine. He uses nothing but hand tools and forming tools he’s made with a welder and hand tools.

Some of the guys on YT have these crazy expensive machines like Mittler Bros etc that would be in a professional restorer shop. I’m never going to have that. I can buy a bunch of marginal stuff and still be happy like a pig in stink. Luckily some of these guys have figured it out that most of us just want make what’s in our head. So like Jere and Wray have done series on how to mod your HF stuff.

When you see the stuff made in the old Bugatti, Ferrari, etc shops with the swoopy big crazy fenders etc.....all that was done by hand by craftsmen with mad skills and just stone knives and bear claws! Mostly hammers and sand bags.

Last edited:
Definitely support the idea of a sub-forum

Bead roller now near the top of my list…

Thanks again and please continue to share what you have done.

Bead roller now near the top of my list…

Thanks again and please continue to share what you have done.
Good choice. You going with a plate type or?

what is your dream sheetmetal project?

Back