Sheldon 10" Under drive to basement help in Montgomery county PA?

And as mentioned -definitely take pics of the disassembly. I referred to my pics many times when reassembling.

Thank you all for the thoughts/ideas/suggestions. I went and borrowed an engine hoist, come along, straps, and a heavy duty dolly for the big effort tomorrow. I'll try to post some pics of the move.

I am going to take another look at the welds holding the chip pan to the cabinet, and decide whether or not to take a crack at grinding them off to separate the two... we'll see.

Like most (I imagine) this lathe has many layers of paint. So... as I have been taking it apart I've bee cleaning and repainting. Not taking it down to bare metal, or trying to make it look new again, just cleaning off the grease and a fresh coat of paint.

I'll post more pics of the reassembly, mostly I bet, because I will have questions! : )

Thanks to Dave Paine I now have all of the parts of my Sheldon 10" lathe in the basement! And thank you to everyone who offered ideas and suggestions!

First thought...
IMG_3218.JPG
Then... lag screwed to a pair of 2 x 6's after unscrewing the leveling feet
IMG_3223.JPG
Can we use this hook?
IMG_3225.JPG
Man Dave is strong!!!
IMG_3227.JPG
Winching it down the stairs...
IMG_3231.JPGIMG_3230.JPG
IMG_3232.JPG
Then Dave picked it up and put it in place!
IMG_3236.JPG
Phew!!
Thank you again Dave!!!!

Some tense moments but a very good day. No injuries, nothing broken, and the lathe components in the desired location.

For the record - we did not attempt to use that puny hook but we both thought about YouTube videos where folks use things which are totally inadequate - and then they post the video of the failure.

I would not be so eager to post videos of my failures.

My first interaction with a Sheldon lathe. Built like a tank comes to mind, especially the chip pan and stand. If only the manufacturer had not welded the chip pan to the stand so well the move would have been a lot easier.

A good second life ahead for this lathe.

Some tense moments but a very good day. No injuries, nothing broken, and the lathe components in the desired location.

For the record - we did not attempt to use that puny hook but we both thought about YouTube videos where folks use things which are totally inadequate - and then they post the video of the failure.

I would not be so eager to post videos of my failures.

My first interaction with a Sheldon lathe. Built like a tank comes to mind, especially the chip pan and stand. If only the manufacturer had not welded the chip pan to the stand so well the move would have been a lot easier.

A good second life ahead for this lathe.

Thank you so much Dave! I don't know how I could have done it without you!

Glad you got her where you want her, and great that Dave could give you a hand. My first lathe, a 12" Craftsman was under 400lbs, purchased in pieces, and moved by muscle. My last one was right around 4000lbs, and moved in one piece, with some mechanical advantage, and farmyard engineering. Welcome to the wonderful and whacky world of machine addiction. Like potato chips, You can never have just one. Might want to start clearing some more space in the basement. :) Mike

Great job on the move. Nice to see some pics with Dave in them. Don't get to see him to often.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Back