Sherline Squaring

Post pics! I'll help you. I love the SHerline gear, and still have a mill. I acquired a lathe in a similar way- with lots of stuff!! :)

Bernie

Bernie, I will try to post up some pics this weekend. If not it will be Monday.

Paulzox

Okay I am going to need some help from you guys on here. I have some tooling that I aquired with my awesome deal and I do not know what it is or what it is used for. I will take some pictures and post them here.

Good Morning Paul and all,

I see that you are in San Diego, only a short drive to the Sherline factory. I cannot recommend too strongly that every Sherline user who can, visit the plant, take the guided tour, and visit the Craftsmanship Museum.

I promise that it will be a revelation and benefit to you in more ways than I can even begin to describe here.

Best,

David Clark in Southern Maryland

I see that you are in San Diego, only a short drive to the Sherline factory. I cannot recommend too strongly that every Sherline user who can, visit the plant, take the guided tour, and visit the Craftsmanship Museum.

I promise that it will be a revelation and benefit to you in more ways than I can even begin to describe here.

Best,

Thanks David!

I have wanted to go for years now- and just haven't made it out there from NJ, where I am. I got my cousin hooked on Sherlines for his pen turning, and he lives in LA! I told him he needs to go!

Bernie

Best,

David,

Thanks for the advice. I have been to Sherline a few times, they are close by and american made. The two main reasons I bought Sherline. But since I scored this smoking deal on another mill and lathe I have not been able to make it. They close at 5 and that's when I get off work. I have talked to them a few times on the phone.

I have not made it to the Carlsbad museum yet, I might try to go tomorrow if they are open. Finally have a day off.

Paulzox

Okay after several weeks of research here is some of the items that I cannot figure out what they are.
y3upe8u8.jpg

y3upe8u8.jpg

Paul,

The two items at top center are lathe dogs. The two disks below them look like faceplates. You use the dogs and faceplate to turn small diameter parts between centers instead of using a chuck. I've no idea on the rest of the parts.

Robert D.

Paul,

The two items at top center are lathe dogs. The two disks below them look like faceplates. You use the dogs and faceplate to turn small diameter parts between centers instead of using a chuck. I've no idea on the rest of the parts.

Robert D.

Thanks Robert, I did not even have any type of idea on the dogs. I was beginning to think they went to something else. Thanks again for the info.

Paul

Paulzox

The two squares to the right of the lathe dogs and faceplates are stepper motor mounts, I think. Just below that is a drive spur to turn wood; it fits into the headstock taper. Below the faceplates is what looks like a Starrett V-block, one of a pair. Below the V-block is a wood turning tool rest, I think; I cannot be sure on that. Below that tool, on the very bottom, is a WR Smith graver tool rest. The graver tool rest is extremely useful once you make some gravers and learn to use it. See Sherline's site for more on this one.

I don't know about the rest of these tools.

The two black blocks, hex and octagonal, are MT1 / 3/4-16 Index Blocks. You mount any headstock accessory in/on there, and use it in the vise to flip the part in divisions of 6 or 8 by just flipping the block in the vise (or whatever holding method) and tightening again. Great to have.

The WR Gravers rest is a really nice accessory. If you won't use it, you should clean it up and sell it because they go for $$. Over $200 new.

Can't see the top, left accessory well enough.

Also can't see small, black accessory above Index Blocks.

The very center, left of the indexable blocks, is an adjustable-alignment tailstock accessory- either a die holder or Tap holder.

Bernie

Back