Shop floor mat

redvan22

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I need a floor mat at the door of my shop to catch debris stuck to the bottom of my shoes.

A well known machinist on YouTube was removing material from a wolf spider that he said came from the "catch all mat" in his shop. I cannot find anything that comes close to that description.

What is the best mat to use in my shop at the doors?

I made these, the swarf etc. drops onto floor under them. On the way out the door I rub my shoes, deals with 99+% of tracking into the rest of house. 1x3 ripped in half is just the right size
I had tried several types of mats, each of which retained stuff on the surface. Bonus is that I no longer stand on concrete.
Gerrit

Attachments

• 20211121_165833 (Medium).jpg
    20211121_165833 (Medium).jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 20211121_165851 (Medium).jpg
    20211121_165851 (Medium).jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 29
I have a metal utility mat in my shop. That's my choice. Chips, dirt & all fall into the mat, just vacuum over it to clean up. Never wears out.
View attachment 407204
Where did you find that? It looks like it was part of like a belt they dry stuff on after screen printing

Where did you find that? It looks like it was part of like a belt they dry stuff on after screen printing
That's a random pic I found, but it looks like my mat.. (Americanfloormats.com) I got mine at an auction.

Home Depot carries "anti-fatigue" mats although, like most things today, a bit on the expensive side.
There is also a sectional type that has interlocking squares. But those are a pain to keep clean of swarf. I mention HD but they are available at Lowe's, Horrible Fright, and some WalMarts.

As far as tracking the swarf goes, there is a door mat with stiff bristles to get mud, snow, and the like off your shoes. I don't know what it's called but Wife finds them at occasional buying sprees at many stores. The dogs like to sleep on the mats and spend as much time there as in the dog houses.

Truth be known, it doesn't matter how much you brush, swarf sticks to your shoes. It happens. . . Smooth leather will carry less than canvas shoes, but some still gets by brushing. Perhaps several mats at suitable locations so there is repeated cleaning before going in the house would help.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I use these, 3’x3’ at Ace Hardware. Comfortable and holes are big enough most chips fall through…lift the mat, sweep, presto.
1652824233015.jpeg

The metal mat looks like what is used for the rear chain on an almond harvester. Have seen them used for mats after they are worn too far for use on the harvester. New they are too pricy for a mat,but used can sometimes be found for free.

I’ve had very good success with this stuff as was mentioned above. I have it in front of my machines and at the door to the shop. With a bit of diligence 99% stays in the shop and the added benefit of the anti fatigue is appreciated. The metal grate probably works well, just not for me. Gerrit’s system works well too.

95d4b895d1ef3645e85f5dff36c22d02.jpg

84bfb5e7a86fea50f280dd554759e999.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back