Shop floor mat

I use those rubber mats; they help but only "so-so", so I also keep a heavy duty entrance mat by my doorway to the house.

EntranceMat.png

Ultimately I find that my shoe choice is most important: the flatter (no deep lugs) and harder the sole material: the better.

The wooden slat design shown above was called "duckboards" when I was a young man. They were pretty common in the old days. They have enough "give" that they lessen fatigue compared to standing directly on concrete floors.

I gave away my mats with the holes. For anti fatigue I use the 3/4 solid cushion mats. To deswarf my shoes I use the aggressive front door mats that are placed in the walkway going to, and from the machines.

Everyone,
Thank you for the many suggestions and unless I missed something, I'm specifically looking for an exit door mat to catch what's stuck to the bottom of my shoes. My shop is in the basement, a finished basement and the wife says she's tired of crawling around picking up bits of "shiny things" (swarf) out of the rugs throughout the house and especially just outside my shop.

I have anti-fatigue mats throughout my shop and I sweep frequently but swarf still gets out. I had one experience of a cat (I have three) limping through the house only to find a tiny curl of blue steel embedded in his front paw pad - this I need to eliminate as it was a real fight to catch, hold, examine and remove it (the first three were the toughest).

Any suggestions (be nice...)?

I gave away my mats with the holes. For anti fatigue I use the 3/4 solid cushion mats. To deswarf my shoes I use the aggressive front door mats that are placed in the walkway going to, and from the machines.
Where can I get these 'aggressive mats' you mention?
Sounds like just what I need.

I have this one, and if you look near the bottom of the page there is a video of a mud scrubber too. I wanted to get a metal link one like post #3 on the first page here, but it was out of stock.
1653933522024.png

Last edited:
Back