shop heater what are you using

Back to my reply in number #13. A test in the ole former shop. We all know, fact all Model T Fords run at pretty near boiling its a
thermosypon systom. For the fun of it, I piped the tail pipe out side. Next I measure fuel tank (a stick) I run the car for a hour. Next I am
able to take of my coat off - outside 23 degrees, inside it went up to around 55 degrees. I measure the fuel with a stick, same thing.
Next I run it another hour, now im knicking on 70 degrees. Now thats two hours of run time. I stick the tank again and I could not measure
the drop, maybe with a mic . Now if I sticked the furnace tank I could measure that with a yard stick. They say these "Ts" will do 25
to 35 Miles per gal, i dont know. But I do know I'm thinking it only burned a couple quarts of gas. I am seeing or feeling all that cast iron
plus the hot muffer, tail pipe, fan blowing 200 degree air. I think I'll see my junkyard buddie for a late 4 banger rice burner, build a box
out side two radiators inside with 110vt fans, and "lets see". My old Ford is comming up with (I think) 1.5 gal of gas in 8 hrs v/s 8 gals
of furnace fuel with a 1.00 an hour burner nozzel. more test to follow.

this is a redneck test ; also that block takes a long time to cool down inbetween starts.......it does not run constantly either
I don't see how this could be an efficient setup. Now, if you were running the motor to power something and capturing the waste heat as you discussed, then you could say that the heat was essentially free. If you really want it to get warm in there, drain the oil out of it. The block will heat up much quicker!:lmao:

I use a 150,000 btu Reddy Heater, my shop is 32 X 40 with a 10' ceiling. A ceiling fan helps greatly.

I use a propane heater that I got from Home Depot (see picture). The only thing I'm not real crazy about is it is really noisy. It sounds like a rocket ship taking off while it runs.

It's not a really good heater, but a really "COLD" night here is 50 degrees and that only happens about 20 days a year.

It's gotta be warm here because I live in shorts and a tee shirt. I've worn long pants once in the last 13 years and I don't have any intention of making that a regular practice any time soon.

The only time I have worn long pants in the last 13 years was when my wife made me a deal I just couldn't pass up. She told me that if I would wear a suit to her nieces wedding, she would pull together enough money for me to buy the Tormach PCNC 1100 that's in my garage right now. Needless to say, she won that battle.

HEATER.jpg

I have re thought this situation. I canned the Carlin burner and installed a later Becket. We used to think turning heat off at night was saving, but
we now find leaving it on is the way to go. Before money going up the stack pretty much all morning to get up to temp. So it kind of makes sense
all that concrete, all that iron gets warm the furnace only maintains it. Another big reason we kept a dump truck in there with 10yds of salt mix.
nothing like an already warm truck with dry sand mix- ready for another sizable storm Wednesday. So far it looks like a little under $100 a month
and it is cold here. Logically, one hour sanding pays for one month of shop heat good deal cause the water plant buys the salt mix, not me.
sam

Since my machine shop is only 14 x 20 and well insulated I use a 4,000 watt electric hanging heater. It works well and is only used while I'm in the shop. Since the shop is in an addition attached to the original house I leave the door open to keep it somewhat warm when I'm not in there. It does draw some heat from the main house's basement which is finished, but I find it cheaper than allowing the electric heat to run constantly. I have no problems with moisture.

My wood working shop is heated by a woodstove its 22 x 22 and reasonably insulated. It really takes no time to heat. I can get it from 40degrees up to 60 in an hour regardless how cold it is outside. I have no problems with moisture here either.

Now my barn is also heated with wood, but takes a long time to get it up to temperature. The building is a 30 x 30 gambrel and is 2 floors. The first floor is insulated but due to the size the amount of equipment and concrete it takes a few hours just to get it up 5 or 10 degrees. Bottom line is I can still work if needed to. It can have issues with moisture, but mostly in the summer when its gets humid.

Paul

I heat my 28 x 32 shop with a propane furnace that I keep set at 40 degrees just to keep the cold out. Then when I'm working out there I fire up the wood burner and warm it up to a comfortable temp.

propane tank topper. I have to shut it off periodically.

I lost 2 down filled vests to one of those.:( Two different occasions. Call me a slow learner. Fortunately I figured out what I was smelling both times before I got "too involved." Now I use an electric heater or two and keep it warm enough I don't need the vest.

Back