Shop lay out......

Tamper84

Active User
Registered
I'm thinking of rearranging the place yet again. Right now I have (mostly)everything to build a 12 foot workbench. But I'm thinking that will just end up a HUGE catch all and no work space. :whistle: Also if I do that all of the equipment/machines will be out in the middle. So I was thinking of shorting the bench and putting the lathe against a wall and leaving space in the corner for a future mill. To do this I will seriously shorten my bench.

What is your thoughts on this? Also do you prefer your machines up against a wall or out in the open??

Thanks,
Chris

Chris--I would build three 4' workbenches and put heavy casters under them so they can be moved around and put your lathe and mill on wall and corner--this way you can move a workbench close to the machine you are working on and then move it back to the center-- or out of the way easily--a 12' workbench would limit how you can utilize your space. just my ideas---Dave :))

A football field with a roof over it would be nice but, I'd settle for a basketball court. Once I had that, I'd lay out the machines with at least 5' of clearance on all sides. But... Since a 2.5 car garage is all that's accessible, I settle for putting the machines up against walls and having a large island table in the middle that has center shelves going 3 levels upward. All available wall space has strong shelves.

Ray

It will not be the first or last time you move them that's for sure. If you need a steel 5' workbench, I have one I bent up at work. I think it has a 4" backsplash , and it's 30' wide, angle or channel frame. You just have to weld it together. Put casters on it and you're set. Consider it a wedding gift :rofl:

Last edited:
I knew I thought correctly, the boy built a rugged bench with under shelfs storage etc. about a good 15 or + feet. I was right I have never yet seen the
top of the bench. Just like extended or 4dr trucks, just a place for more junk, thats why a 15 X 30 extension being built "no junk allowed" will look like Jay Leno's shop I hope.

I'll add another question ; been thinking about= yrs ago in the house basement, my mother did the floor with square "glued on" bullit proof (somethings)
although long gone, it was like a kind of like asphalt, stiff hard stuff, not slate. Do they still make that stuff? Lt pebble grey would be nice. Whatever flooring (over concrete) think I'll cut little steel square plates for heavy machines to sit on. I'm already thinking ahead and he aint banged a nail yet. sam

Thanks guys!! I'm going to pick up some graph paper tonight and move stuff around on that. And see how I like the setup. It's better then moving around heavy machines lol.

Thanks,
Chris

As for floor finishes on concrete, there appear to be some nice epoxies available now. I want to say they are two part, but I'm not sure.

If the concrete is below grade (basement) and does not have a vapor barrier over a crushed and packed stone base, there may be ongoing moisture migration up through the concrete which can pop tiles loose.

I finally got some graph paper and did a little sketch! Here are some pictures.

image.jpg

The cut out of the mill, I just made 48x48 (scale) size. I just figured on the size of BP table and just squared it. The workbench is 6 feet long. (although that can change really quick). Also, TC=Tool chest, CAB=a storage cabinet I have, PS=Pellet stove (have to have heat!). And Book=a book shelf I have, that may leave in favor of built in shelving. The blue squares up the middle are 4x4 posts that are holding up the loft. I cant change those... :(

image.jpg

I know things can change. All is up the in air right now. Thoughts, opinions???? What do you think???:think1:

Thanks,
Chris

image.jpg image.jpg

I would consider swapping the lathe and workbench locations. That way you could have room for something (raw stock, rifle barrel being chambered, etc) to extend out of the rear of the headstock into the door area if necessary. In general, I would try to leave more space between machines than you show. The lathe may require access from behind it for setup - especially if you plan to use a taper attachment or do cutoff or other turning from the rear of the slide.

If possible, you may want to do much/most/all welding activity in the outdoors. Welding has hazards due to fumes and sparks.

Grinding activities may generate abrasive dust which can settle on other machines. A "privacy curtain" such as might be seen in a hospital ward might help control such dust.

Back