Shop lay out......

I thought about that. But right where the lathe is sitting, is my 3 phase plugs. I could put a longer cord on it though :thinking: As for the welding, that's why I would like to put the welder(s) right next to the door. Just string out side and go. Oh and I was planning on putting the bench grinders in the welding "area" to try and keep the mess localized I guess lol.

That apron idea is a good one!! I will have to check into that.

Thanks,
Chris

- - - Updated - - -

Another thought. Do you think I made my "mill" a correct size? I don't have one yet, but would still like to plan for it. I will swap stuff around tonight and post another picture.

A vertical mill's space envelop is more nearly a triangle than a square, with the long front edge defined by extremes of table travel. A 40" table which can travel 15" in either direction, for example, would need 80" to 100" width for full travel in both directions plus handle and cranking space at each end. However if space was limited, the larger table could be used at less than full capacity. If the head of the mill can be moved forward and backward, tilted, swiveled, or otherwise moved, the extreme positions need to be considered when defining the space envelop for the machine.

Thank you railfan!! It gives me a lot to think about. Here are two more layouts. I know this seems stupid to do (at least I think the wife thinks so :rofl:). But it beats moving all the crap around out there!

One more thing, I am thinking about lining the wall behind wherever the workbench ends up, with peg board. And doing away with the tool chest. Free up some floor space. Or maybe some osb.

Thanks,
Chris

image.jpg image.jpg

I've used a mill in a corner and didn't like it. It was dark and crowded. It doesn't let you work easily with long pieces and is a pain to clean behind. Put your lathe where you can put long stock through the head stock if you have to. You have a nice size area to work with just leave room to work around each machine in X Y and Z.

Thanks Bill!!! I never used a mill in a corner that's why I put it like that. I wish I had a bigger space lol. Decisions decisions lol

Thanks,
Chris

I have 220 plug/outlets in different locations in my shop so if I want to move stuff or add stuff I can. I used the same type plugs as I have on my welders.

Me too getting close to construction. I think I'll go with mill in a rear corner cause right of that a door for a 8X12 office with something like a picture window. this will be 12 x 34. Being 12' wide and one lathe is 10', it doesnt bother for a hole in the wall like Keith Fenners got. Mill in corner, shaper next to that then the office door. Two entrance doors one to outside the other into the present shop. Small size rolltop door / entrance door next to it.
Two more SB lathes plus 4 drill presses and as mentioned same 220 plugs. My boy already had the electric co. here, they said 3ph no problem its
already on the pole like 25' away. Go underground I got a 750 Ford backhoe. I will settle for just one bench grinder, maybe not. If I need air no prob.
big comp is on the other side of the wall. I was given a new window A/C perfect (office). I'm also tempted for tongue and grove wood over concrete.
mopped with atf fluid like our old shop had. I suppose all this will change when I got empty 4 walls. Ceiling will be 8' so moving in will be interesting.
Moving out no problem shop ceiling is 15' so backhoe with a mill hanging has plenty of room. I know one thing it will be cheap to heat. No more grinding
dust and welding 'smog' repairing busted snowplows. This whole idea came about cause I didnt have a certain reamer for wrist pin bushings. I know a guy with old time gas station / repair shop. Absoulutly clutter grease just a pathway with piles of junk cobwebs he said follow me i have one. So I
walk through a door **shock total shock. I better take my shoes off. Name the machine, its there; hospitol clean white walls a/c not one speck of dust, or oil spots. Never saw a real 36" Cincy shaper thats mint, boy thats big. CNC's, its all there. I went there to borrow a reamer, well he has a
dedicated reaming machine just for piston bushings. So thats what has been on my mind.

Thank you railfan!! It gives me a lot to think about. Here are two more layouts. I know this seems stupid to do (at least I think the wife thinks so :rofl:). But it beats moving all the crap around out there!

One more thing, I am thinking about lining the wall behind wherever the workbench ends up, with peg board. And doing away with the tool chest. Free up some floor space. Or maybe some osb.

Thanks,
Chris

A very good way to do many different layout fast and see problems ahead of time. As a Manufacturing Engineer I used this method when I worked without a computer around.

Layouts like you are doing is a great way to plan. My additional suggestion is to make sure your equipment templates include not only the machine footprint at the extremes of their movement, but also any panel door access, tooling egress, etc. And don't forget room for operating the machine, or movement of any ancillary equipment such as engine hoists, etc.

Back