Shop-made Ball Turner - with a Question

If you can't drill it with a cobalt bit, then you are most likely not going to be able to tap it.

I built a similar turner and just adjust it from one side, a bit inconvenient but it works.

Reactions: tjb
Carbide may drill it, but you still could not tap it; one possibility would be to partially anneal that section of the screw.

Nice job Terry,
I put my knob adjustment on the other side, cut a hex key at the end of my knob and retained with a small screw. Will pull mine out and see about the other side. I went with a CCGT32.52 so I could get a sharp edge, others grind HSS or use small round inserts.
Ball Turner Head.jpg

Rotate the cutter to be below the workpiece and reverse the spindle rotation.
Be careful if you're using a screw on chuck.

If you can't drill it with a cobalt bit, then you are most likely not going to be able to tap it.

I built a similar turner and just adjust it from one side, a bit inconvenient but it works.
Unfortunately, I think you're right.

Wonder how Ade did it?

Rotate the cutter to be below the workpiece and reverse the spindle rotation.
Be careful if you're using a screw on chuck.
Now, that's a thought. Thanks.

Nice job Terry,
I put my knob adjustment on the other side, cut a hex key at the end of my knob and retained with a small screw. Will pull mine out and see about the other side. I went with a CCGT32.52 so I could get a sharp edge, others grind HSS or use small round inserts.
View attachment 368933
Characteristically beautiful work, Mark. Do have pix from other angles?

I used an El Cheapo boring bar insert just to try out the tool. It performed very nicely. I have round inserts on the way and will try those out. I suspect I'll be okay with those, but if not, I may end up doing what you did.

Regards,
Terry

Ade didn't have a Criterion boring head
Oh! Well that solves the mystery! His looks nearly identical to mine, and I jumped to the conclusion that it was a Criterion. I went back and listened a little more carefully, and I don't think he ever identifies the brand of his boring head.

Good catch, and thanks for clearing that up.

Plan C, here we come.

Regards

Back