Shop Press Jack Location

For those with small shops, have you considered arbor presses? They seem to be available used on Craig's List and E-bay. They are small and compact and can be moved to a shelf under the bench when not in use. Maybe another option for you.

For those with small shops, have you considered arbor presses? They seem to be available used on Craig's List and E-bay. They are small and compact and can be moved to a shelf under the bench when not in use. Maybe another option for you.

I'm also one of those folks with a small cramped shop and found an old 3ton arbor press off CL for $35. I don't use a press very much and so it has done enough stuff to warrant being permanently mounted on a work station. But it's still not a hydrolic press....

I do not have an arbor press, but at times that seems like it would be easier than a full size 20ton press. But some of the ones I have had to do the arbor press would not have made it happen.

I do not have an arbor press, but at times that seems like it would be easier than a full size 20ton press. But some of the ones I have had to do the arbor press would not have made it happen.
You clearly need "the both." ;)

If I where to build a shop press I would use a ram not a jack.

I've used both of the designs and neither is as good as I guess you would call it the direct ram style. Tony Foale on Homemadetools.net did a real interesting thing, taking a common bottle Jack and modding it to become inverted to be a direct ram type. Much simpler and less likely to bind like either the over or under design. He has a pretty good write up Here
Thanks, uh, Cbag. I appreciate the link

Back