Shop re-do

Same boat as tjb concerning not having a TV on other than not even a monthly movie. I got rid of my last TV about 30 years ago as I was curious as to what life would be like without one and cannot imagine having to give up what I fill my time with now to watch a TV, other than watching a PC machining video now and then. Also I just kind of got bored with what was on TV at that time.
Good for you, Harry! No question hours spent in front of a TV is a monumental waste of time. They don't call 'em 'idiot boxes' for nothing!

Regards,
Terry

Good for you, Harry! No question hours spent in front of a TV is a monumental waste of time. They don't call 'em 'idiot boxes' for nothing!

Regards,
Terry

Unless of course you’re watching machining, welding or woodworking videos :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

looking good David. Looks like lots of storage opportunity above the bikes.
Definitely. I plan to add shelving down both sides and across the yet-to-be built wall at the rear of the space.

Definitely. I plan to add shelving down both sides and across the yet-to-be built wall at the rear of the space.
If you ever have a need to replace your garage doors, you might want to see if roll-ups are practical. I put those in my shop, and it opens up quite a bit of ceiling storage space.

Regards,

If you ever have a need to replace your garage doors, you might want to see if roll-ups are practical. I put those in my shop, and it opens up quite a bit of ceiling storage space.

Regards,

It’s funny you mention that actually.
I just pulled a bike out and stood there thinking about how I could build a platform that would span the space and allow for storage of sheet goods instead of leaning them against the wall on the left.

The rails are about 9” down from the roof joists so they definitely use up valuable vertical space.

I wonder if roll-ups are available for small door openings.
Edit: as it turns out there’s a company which is almost local to me.
$1500 for an insulated door. Not bad actually.

Last edited:
It’s funny you mention that actually.
I just pulled a bike out and stood there thinking about how I could build a platform that would span the space and allow for storage of sheet goods instead of leaning them against the wall on the left.

The rails are about 9” down from the roof joists so they definitely use up valuable vertical space.

Yeah, they do open up ceiling space, but that didn't even hit my radar screen until after they were installed. Because my shop was originally built as a pole barn, floor-to-ceiling height was much more than normal. Roll-ups were the only thing that made sense. It was only after they were in that I realized the benefit of opening up storage space. Of course, if you're constantly driving vehicles in and out of the shop, it limits what you can store. You can't very well have stuff hanging down in the opening if you need to pull a car or truck in. I partially reserved that kind of access in my shop. The other bays have equipment in front of them.

Regards

More work over the weekend.
I emptied all the drawers in the grey bench so I could glue the joints in an effort to prolong their life.
Major tidying and organizing. Feeling pretty good about how it’s shaping up.
a9c5fa7d44cb8a0c9a76c2f4ea00d1c5.jpg

Hey that’s starting to look like something! :encourage:

-f

Thanks Frank. It’s been a bit of a slog in the recent heat but feels good to actually be able to access tools and machines without moving half the contents.

Back