Shop storage

Whew, stuff could get lost for decades up there.
Jeff, much worst than that, as I have "stuff" scattered across 3 buildings already. Who knows what is in the boxes over the kitchenette by the barns? And that building is only 3 years old. We've only lived here for 4 years ...

New shop will have 12' ceilings. I'm thinking I will build out a 4' deep shelf at 8' up all around the perimeter of the building, much of that with a 3' wide workbench underneath. Lots of horizontal space for things to accumulate.
4x8, what will you be using to support them?

The great thing about having shelves above, is you can organize by machine above, add light below, and store less used on the next level above the first.

how do you get to the back... a forklift. :grin: For plain shelves, you'll have to dig, or use some lazy susan, or kitchen cabinetry type solutions of moving things back and forth.

4x8, what will you be using to support them?

The great thing about having shelves above, is you can organize by machine above, add light below, and store less used on the next level above the first.

how do you get to the back... a forklift. :grin: For plain shelves, you'll have to dig, or use some lazy susan, or kitchen cabinetry type solutions of moving things back and forth.
I'm thinking there will be a lot of W6x9 in my future. I also figure on building a rolling ladder staircase much like used at the big box stores for the employees to reach the high shelves, something that puts my head just below the ceiling so I can easily lean in and get smaller items.

New shop will have 12' ceilings. I'm thinking I will build out a 4' deep shelf at 8' up all around the perimeter of the building, much of that with a 3' wide workbench underneath. Lots of horizontal space for things to accumulate.
I am in the process of doing this. I am in the middle of a bit reorganization project. Would love to post ideas here but the material I have currently wouldn't look like anything to emulate.

I am using old used pallet racking from a defunct warehouse. It's like erector set, make it how you want it. Very high load capacity. There is a bit of a challenge where they meet at 90 degrees in the corners, it makes a hard-to-access corner. But I get around this by welding the horizontals to their perpendicular counterparts and the cutting the legs off from under them.

So i was going through a strap kit that i got recently that was in a box. I found a couple washers i have questions about one washer has a convex face and i have another washer with a concave face. I assume they would be going together. But i would like to know what would they be good for???

it can be posted in both. I didnt realize that OP made that post. But we can make one of these as the main post and maybe it can get tagged as a POTD type of post where everyone posts their ideas. I love seeing shop tours and posts bc of this idea of finding storage ideas.

Pallet racking is wonderful stuff.

Got a trailer load and stored outside as shop was not done at time.

What a pain it is to paint!

Got assorted sizes and shop is limited downstairs, 10 feet is practical limit but most were under that.

There were some 12 footers that we cut shorter for use along the fence outside.

The cut off chunks we hung from steel floor joists for second floor.

There are columns by wall so these required a vertical on both sides of column.

Away from wall it was clear so single used here.

Cut and made custom beams to fit.

So over the top of the man door and tool boxes and other items where floor support not practical it hangs from ceiling.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Pallet racking is wonderful stuff.

Got a trailer load and stored outside as shop was not done at time.

What a pain it is to paint!

Got assorted sizes and shop is limited downstairs, 10 feet is practical limit but most were under that.

There were some 12 footers that we cut shorter for use along the fence outside.

The cut off chunks we hung from steel floor joists for second floor.

There are columns by wall so these required a vertical on both sides of column.

Away from wall it was clear so single used here.

Cut and made custom beams to fit.

So over the top of the man door and tool boxes and other items where floor support not practical it hangs from ceiling.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
I'm having trouble visualizing some of that. If you have any pictures I would be interested in seeing.

Back