shop vise advise

Wow. Every Record vise I've ever seen had cast in letters spelling "Record". I had no idea!

Dabbler, I suspect that it had a brand sticker on it at one point. It was bought new in the mid 70s around the same time you bought your Record. Are they the same colour? Does the No 3 cast into the side betray anything? It is a 4'' jaw, a staple size for hobbyists at the time available in most hardware stores. Sure is a tough little bugger.

I'm sure you have an excellent vise. I'm also sure you have another brand, but here's photos of my 4" Record vise I bought in 1979, and it still is going strong. I'm sure it will be just as good in 100 years.

Here's my Record vise:
Record Vise 1.jpg

Record Vise 2b.jpg

Hi Guys,

Its just popped into my head "Paramo" vise ! I just wish I could remember the other.
These were made from the same patterns as the Record ones, they just changed the name.

OMG! when I was a very little tike I saw a Paramo vise (or a word much like it - maybe a 'panama' I was pretty young) - thanks for bringing back a great memory of my Dad taking me to a shop somewhere - I had completely forgotten it!

I find estate sales are often pretty good for old tools, especially hand tools. Most old timers had a bench in the garage and had a vise of some sort mounted on it. Sometimes they are not even priced separately and you can just make an offer based on your budget. Newer suburbs may not be as productive, but it's a good bet that an estate sale in a rural are will have some type of old US made vise.

Update... I inherited a Record 6" vice for free. Through a long series of giving it from one person to another, it ended up with me. I intend it for my welding table... It was a discard from a power plant and found outside. Still a nice vice!

--- it seems I'm getting quite a few vises. My 4" record is still my go-to workhorse.

Update... I inherited a Record 6" vice for free. Through a long series of giving it from one person to another, it ended up with me. I intend it for my welding table... It was a discard from a power plant and found outside. Still a nice vice!

--- it seems I'm getting quite a few vises. My 4" record is still my go-to workhorse.

All we need are pictures now. Of all of them.

Keep your eyes open locally on. Craigslist for used USA vise. I’ve broken about 3 import vises over the last 30 years. And these were big vises. USA vises still going strong.
Also...any shop closing tends to have an excess of vises.

Back