Shoptask 1720 xmtc help

Rustedfrog

Registered
Registered
Good morning and Happy Thanksgiving!! My dad and I just purchased a used Shoptask 1720 xmtc gold last night. When we were looking it over there is a lot of slop in it and it was not kept very clean. This weekend I plan to spend several hours cleaning all of the rails and getting it back into better shape. However, I am wondering how to take the slop out of it. When you turn the knobs to adjust it the front will move before 1/8" before the back starts to move. I do not know much about milling but I do know that this does not make for very accurate work. This is true for both the X and Y axis. Any information would be very helpful. Thank you.

Are you talking about backlash? All machines have some, it's something you compensate for as you use it. Now loose gibs that's a different matter, they should be as snug as possible and still permit free movement with some resistance
mark

I am not sure. I will have to look more into it. I believe it would probably be loos gibs. although I do not know enough to even know what that is. I have virtually know knowledge of what anything is. I have spent a tiny amount of time at a local shop being shown a few things and have watched my buddy do some gun parts for me on his mill. I will not be using this until I have read the manual and cleaned it up. Hoping the manual teaches me some things.

I also have to find a vise for it. It does not have one. Do you have any recommendations for one that is of decent quality and will not break the bank?

Last edited:
Mike is right, many decent import vises available that won't clobber your budget.
If you could post a picture of your machine showing the loose parts we could zero in on the problem sooner
m

So basically you are asking how to remove the backlash in the feed screws I think. Neither of the nuts have an adjustment on my 1720xmtc., but the leadscrews on mine had a lot of slop when I got it used. the coordinate system on 3in1 machines is rather frustrating when talking to others not familiar with these machines. The lead screw nuts are held in with a pointed set screw and if it is loose the nut will slide back and forth so I would check that first. Then on the cross slide table you may need to add a shim washer at the handwheel end if the handwheel lock nut can not be adjusted to remove slop there. on the long axis you should be able to adjust the slop with the nuts by the handwheel. Hope this makes sense or at least helps. Gib adjustment is critical before getting carried away with any of this stuff and takes a bit of practice to get right so do that first. Keep in mind what Mark said also. And in my opinion a 4 inch vise is about as big as you would want. I will also attach a PDF of the 1720xmtc manual, I know it isn't exactly the machine you have but will be close and may help you.

Attachments

• 1720 xmtc.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 592
Thank you for your advice. I messed around for a while and got pretty much all of the play out. All of the nuts and Allen screws where loose and had backed out. I’m comfortable with were it is now. But after looking around I think you may be right. I don’t think a vise bigger than 4” will fit. I think the vise I’m going to get is from the little machine shop.

A 4 inch vise will work fine but if the jaws are parallel to the table the lathe tail stock needs to be checked for clearance, turned the other way lots of room but mounting is an issue. Try to size your vise to the size of work you will be doing.

Back