shot gun barrel shortening?

cg 2005

Active User
Registered
I want to shorten one of my shot gun barrels to 0.500" longer than the Florida legal length. I will likely do it on the G0704. I need some ideas on the tooling, doc and rpm, please. I have Prime Cut to use as a cutting fluid that I can mix as needed with water. I have never milled gun metal before.

Thanks

A real quick and easy way to shorten a shot gun barrel is to mark it with a wrap around, like adding machine tape or even masking tape (sticky side out) so you have a true line around the barrel. Grasp it in a vice with wood blocks or leather wrap or something so the barrel will not get marred, cut it off with a good quality blade hack saw and use a good file to dress the end. Or if you have a metal band saw that cuts good and square, it will take only a few minutes!

If you are dead set on using the lathe, I'd cut it off with a hack saw first, chuck it up using a steady rest and simply true up the cut end with a facing cut and then lightly chamfer the inside.

A real quick and easy way to shorten a shot gun barrel is to mark it with a wrap around, like adding machine tape or even masking tape (sticky side out) so you have a true line around the barrel. Grasp it in a vice with wood blocks or leather wrap or something so the barrel will not get marred, cut it off with a good quality blade hack saw and use a good file to dress the end. Or if you have a metal band saw that cuts good and square, it will take only a few minutes!

If you are dead set on using the lathe, I'd cut it off with a hack saw first, chuck it up using a steady rest and simply true up the cut end with a facing cut and then lightly chamfer the inside.

The Hacksaw method was told to me by a gunsmith friend. I will bet there is very few gunsmiths that cut shotgun barrels on a lathe, but if you take it to one to have it shortened they will charge you lathe setup fees and take it in the back room and cut it off whith a hacksaw.:rofl:

Likely the barrel is just 4140 steel.

No choke required in the future or are you going to install screw ins?

Likely the barrel is just 4140 steel.

No choke required in the future or are you going to install screw ins?

Would a choke be effective on an 18 1/2 inch barrel? Building this type of gun would only be for one purpose, Short range max spread.

I think if you check my post I was planning to use a G0704 mill, not a lathe.

So that hack saw method then is the best. Thanks.

A choke is of no interest, for this weapon's sole intended purpose is for home use.

I think if you check my post I was planning to use a G0704 mill, not lathe.

Just rember to keep the overall length of the gun longer than 26 inches, which includes the barrel length. Have fun.

I think if you check my post I was planning to use a G0704 mill, not a lathe.

A choke is of no interest, for this weapon's sole intended purpose is for home use.

The only way I can think of (which doesn't mean much), to use your G0704 in the barrel shortening operation, would be to mount it in 'V' blocks on the table and side mill the saw cut end to square it.

M

Back