shot gun barrel shortening?

I have shortened a few shotgun barrels in the past. The minimum length here in NC is 18'' so for arguements sake, I always shortened the barrels to 18.25'' minimum. The technique that has worked most effeciently has been to mark and tape the barrel and then use a hack saw to remove the extra tubing, leaving at least 1/8'' of material for clean up. At this time the barrel could be put in a mill's vise and squared or turned in a lathe. Although the lathe takes a bit more set up, one could chamfer the outside and if the barrel is thick enough, a very small crown could be added to give the barrel a finished look. I like to keep the cut off barrel section to practice porting. Porting looks pretty but it's my opinion that it doesn't do very much in a shotgun. Gun metal cuts very well but make your cuts light with appropriate RPM's and the whole operation will be simple.

I would never waste my time setting up a shotgun barrel in a lathe, or mill, to shorten it. The hacksaw way is the best, then use the Clymer barrel facing tool, available from Brownells.

The Hacksaw method was told to me by a gunsmith friend. I will bet there is very few gunsmiths that cut shotgun barrels on a lathe, but if you take it to one to have it shortened they will charge you lathe setup fees and take it in the back room and cut it off whith a hacksaw.:rofl:

My thoughts, exactly.:))

Darn, sorry you two have such bad luck with low life, thieving gunsmiths.

I do not recall saying that I had "bad luck with low life, thieving gunsmiths". I have several friends that are gunsmiths. I also know that there are some people (customers) that know more than the gunsmith/machinest (or they think they do) and those are the ones that like to tell me how to do the job, and in that case I just shake my head in agrement and do the job the best way that I know how.

Hmmm, must have misread your comment where you stated "they will charge you lathe setup fees and take it to the back room and cut it off with a hacksaw." The only people that would do such a thing would be of low moral character, and I would call that stealing. My mistake.

I would never waste my time setting up a shotgun barrel in a lathe, or mill, to shorten it. The hacksaw way is the best, then use the Clymer barrel facing tool, available from Brownells.

But for someone not having the aforementioned Clymer tool, using a lathe or mill is a perfectly acceptable method to square the cut end of the barrel IMO.

M

The Hacksaw method was told to me by a gunsmith friend. I will bet there is very few gunsmiths that cut shotgun barrels on a lathe, but if you take it to one to have it shortened they will charge you lathe setup fees and take it in the back room and cut it off whith a hacksaw.:rofl:

My thoughts, exactly.:))

Hmmm, must have misread your comment where you stated "they will charge you lathe setup fees and take it to the back room and cut it off with a hacksaw." The only people that would do such a thing would be of low moral character, and I would call that stealing. My mistake.

Like I said I must have misread and misunderstood your disparaging comments about gunsmiths. Guess I don't find it funny or friendly.

Back