Should I buy this INDEX SUPER 55 mill?

ThunderDog

Registered
Registered
Just got home after having looked at a Index Super 55 vertical mill.
There is not much information that I've found on the internet.
The good: It's cheap. The ways still have alot of the original scraping visible. There is a section near the top of the column that has rust, but a good cleaning may take care of that. I saw it run and no grinding noises, etc. were present. It does actually come with a set of collets.(More on that in just a bit.) It's 3 phase, I've learned after restoring my Sheldon lathe that I actually like 3 phase because the power is oh so smooth.(Love my Sheldon lathe!!) I have no concerns about installing a VFD. I snugged up the gibs on the table and things seemed tight. No loosey-goosey movement.

The bad: It's a B&S taper, but it does come with a set of B&S collets. The X-axis power feed mechanism might be broke or it's missing something. The cover is broke, I know that. The power feed motor and gear train/speed adjustment works fine, it's the long shaft at the table which has me stumped. That bar/keyed shaft will engage and it does rotate when I engage the powerfeed, however I'm thinking a part is missing or something because it's just flopping in the breeze. I'm wondering, how does it stay in-line as it travels with the table lead screw?

The fine feed on the quill is broken, the handle spins completely free with no movement in the quill. Any ideas into how much would be involved to fix this? Is there a common thing that broke on these?

The drawbar spun freely and I could move it upwards about a half inch, but I couldn't pull it out. I put my finger inside the quill and I could wiggle the drawbar and push it upwards, but it wouldn't pull out by hand. It should just be a bar with a thread on the end, right? Is this held in place with some collar/retainer?

I did a little homework before I went to look at the machine. As luck would have it, this was the one machine that Wells-Index did not have information about in their database. The girl on the phone did tell me that she has info on the model before and after, but not this one. I also got a quote for an R8 spindle regrind. It's like $500 which includes shipping.

Is it too far gone? There's that part in my head that says, "DO IT". But, I'm looking for a TOUGH machine away from my days of running the little Atlas horizontal mill.

I'm including pics and a quick video. Ignore the statement I make in the video, about not knowing what the "star" knob is used for. I have read that it allows you to adjust a stop position to prevent accidents with the powerfeed.

Table feed
20180405_165802.jpg20180405_165812.jpg

That bottom shaft is essentially flopping around. It has a worm gear at the power feed engaging handle and it does spin when the powerfeed motor is running.
20180405_165807.jpg123.jpg

I could turn the quill power feed pulleys by hand, but no movement on the quill. The fine feed handle on the front spins freely. Probably something broke inside.
20180405_165734.jpg
20180405_170014.jpg20180405_170018.jpg
20180405_170000.jpg20180405_170847.jpg

You would have to build a new gear housing/shaft bearing part for the end of the table, not so easy without the missing parts; I expect that sooner or later some will make contact and have a similar machine that the part could be copied from. other wise it looks pretty good. That drawbar may not move very far because it may be designed to eject the tool holder as well as pull it in.
Reason to buy it? "because it is there"!

How much is he asking for it and how are the spindle bearings?
Mark

How much is he asking for it and how are the spindle bearings?
Mark
He's asking $750, but he completely admitted that he did not know anything about how the machine functioned. He purchased it 2 or 3 years ago to drill holes for a job and has never used it since. He's a one man welder company that is closing his doors. I had to show him what the power feed was for both X-axis and the quill.

Spindle bearings: I let it run for a while, no chatter, rattle, or obscure noises.

Sounds good then, you have a lathe so fixing it should be no problem

I'm not sure, but I may have found the answer to the fine feed free spinning.

The manual states:
4. The fine feed handwheel is placed in operating condition by locating the feed shift leverin a neutral position and engaging the power feed clutch with the clutch engaging lever.

You're right, there's not much info out there at all.

However, the pictures in these two documents:
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=3903
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=3902
at least show the broken casting on the end of the table.
Weird, I expected an table end-cap that would capture fluids, but still allow the t-nuts to be inserted.

-brino
I got a manual/parts list from vintagemachinery. That cover is deceiving, the cross section of it shows that it holds bearings and acts a the point of resistance. So, the bottom keyed shaft slides via the rotating worm from the power feed. This rotation is transfered to the lead screw and thus moves the table.

In layman's terms, the cover is actually a bracket to hold both shafts.

Mine is s/n 55-7508.
You might be able to find someone with a parts machine to supply the missing items. Wells has enough info on this to get you started.

Since it comes with virtually no tooling, regrinding for R8 would be money well spent, rather than wasting time and money (as I have) with the B&S #9.

It will run just fine on a static phase converter. But I am setting up an RPC for mine soon. You can see the drive housing in the photo.

There are some great images if you scroll down here:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/index/

Last edited:
Mine is s/n 55-7508.
You might be able to find someone with a parts machine to supply the missing items. Wells has enough info on this to get you started.

Since it comes with virtually no tooling, regrinding for R8 would be money well spent, rather than wasting time and money (as I have) with the B&S #9.

It will run just fine on a static phase converter. But I am setting up an RPC for mine soon.
So, does your fine feed spin free?

Back