Should I concider a Combo Lathe Mill machines or separate machines; and other stuff.

Welcome Clint!

When I first thought about setting up a shop twenty years ago, a veteran machinist I knew well counseled me to avoid combo machines no matter what. He said even if I had to live without a lathe or mill because I could not afford both at once, I would be better off in the long run. In addition to
Plus, do you want to tear down your milling setup everytime you need to make a little washer on the lathe
, he cited the absolute lack of rigidity possible with a lathe mounted mill.

Like others, I would also say stay away from the 3 in 1 machines. Great idea, generally poor versatility in practice.

Now, as an option, you might evaluate the small PM or Sherline CNC mills and lathes. These little CNC machines do surprisingly great amounts of work for their size and low cost.

Having just looked at a bunch of youtube videos I am reconsidering my long aversion to doing anymore software coding and (horrors upon horrors) thinking about buying one of these small CNC machines to make parts.

Writing G code and learning CAD is the thing- but after that, turning out well made, sophisticated parts is surprisingly easy.

Just something to think about...

Glenn

I much prefer single machines. The only way I would want a 3 in 1 is if I didn't have the space for 3 machines. I would not like changing set of of one machine to use one of the others. Example in my area. Shopsmith combo machines. Buying new, people can spend $2000 or more I'm guessing. I see them on craigslist all the time for just a couple hundred dollars. Honestly I don't know why they are so cheap, weather its because people don't like changing setup or quality or????.

Just a note that the OP said he wants to make ALUMINUM toys (lighsabers). Perhaps a 3-in-1 isn't such a bad choice.

Craig

The 3 in 1 machines really seem to make the most sense for people with very limited space. You don't actually save that much money vs buying 2 separate machines of equal quality. The mill on most 3 in 1s is quite small compared to the size of the lathe.

Grizzly is one of the easier to compare since they sell 3 in 1 and single function machines.

Their 12x36 3 in 1 costs $4750 https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-12-X-36-Combination-Gunsmithing-Lathe-Mill/G0791

It is essentially their $3950 12x36 G4003G lathe https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-12-x-36-Gunsmithing-Lathe-with-Stand/G4003G

With one of their small mills, probably about like this $895 4x18 mill drill, https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-4-x-18-3-4-HP-Mill-Drill/G0781 or possibly this $1150 6x20 mill drill https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-Mill-Drill/G0758 and I think either of these is actually more capable.

So you only end up saving about $100-300 (on a nearly $5000 purchase) and are stuck with a combination that may or may not satisfy you.

If you have limited milling needs, maybe you should consider a milling attachment for a lathe rather than a combo machine. Much cheaper and it doesn't compromise the lathe.

I'm not sure why this statement pops up on every new machine thread.

I totally don't interpret your statement as argumentative. As stated above, I'll share my personal experience.

If you look at the included tooling individually rather than lumped in with the purchase price of the machine, then the 50-100% the price of the machine often quoted is pretty accurate. Where it gets fuzzy is many new machines are available with a fairly comprehensive basic starter package of tooling in the price of the machine. That tooling isn't free but you are paying for it all in a lump sum. It is definitely worth looking at what all comes with a machine when shopping.

If you get a lathe that comes with a good starter package, then yeah, you don't have to spend another 50-100% for tooling, because you already did. If you find a cheap bare bones package, then you need to be prepared to spend a bunch more on tooling or you will be very limited.

I'm pretty happy with my Shopmaster CNC 3in1.

Glenn, glad to see an actual owner chime in. I have looked at but never owned a combo machine and I think most hobby guys haven't worked with one, either. We all know that you don't know a machine until you've lived with it so your input would be valuable.

With that said, when I looked at a combo with a friend that was thinking of buying it, my impression is that the milling capability is sorely lacking. The table is essentially the cross slide table and while it was bigger than most cross slide tables, it was still very small compared to even a small benchtop mill. Travel in X (to the left), Y and Z was severely restricted in comparison to a real mill as well.

So, is your CNC capability just for the lathe, the mill or both? Do you honestly think that a combo is a good buy for someone breaking into the hobby?

I am a beginner. My 1st machine is a Grizzly G0773 Lathe / Mill. Although I really do get what (& why) everyone is saying about combo devises, I do not regret having started with what I did. Regardless of whether a Howitzer might be in my future, at the age of 9: a 4-10 shotgun was the correct decision. Now I've bought a real mill & have plans for a real lathe. I'll keep my combo going just the same. I see it all the time: A 1 man shop with a few mills & several lathes. Why? Sometimes you just have to leave a part chucked up & use a different machine to get beyond the next step or order of operation or complimenting part. As is, since I'm still getting my 'real mill' ready (& me prepared) I do allot of planning ahead. My combo cross slide is subject to having a QCTP, vise or rotary table mounted on it at any given time. I don't change those out for fun but only once I'm certain there is nothing else needing to be done with a particular setup. I say study well virtues & limits of everything you can. When a good deal that suites your needs comes along ......... I hope you can seize the opportunity!

I started out with a small 3 in 1 and it was a good "learning" machine. At times it was disheartening, at others very gratifying. At the time my machining tools included; an electric drill, hacksaw, file, ac welder and cutting torch. (Absolutely 0 knowledge). I learned that it's limitations were greater than I originally thought. (It didn't even have power feed).
I found an old Cincinnati traytop with a small amount of tooling. That's when the fever hit. I realized I could actually make things. Did some buying and selling, wound up with a Bridgeport and a G0709 along with some other stuff. Life is great.
Point is , you may or may not be happy with the 3 in 1, lots of things to consider. But if you get it and decide you don't like it, you can always sell it and upgrade.
But remember, it's a thirst that can't be quenched.

I think in the long run you'll be happier with individual machines rather than a combo machine. As for cost, if you're willing to spend $5,000.00 you should be able to find both a good used lathe and milling machine for that price or less. I have both a Bridgeport Series I milling machine and a Sheldon 13 x 56 lathe. The pair cost less than what you are considering spending on a combo machine.

For a mill I would consider a used Burke Millrite:
http://www.doranaerospace.com/millrite.html
This machine is about 2/3 the size of a 9" x 42" Bridgeport Series I machine

Or a small Bridgeport Series I. Here's a listing for one on eBay. Don't get too hung up on the price. They are available for far less money than this seller is asking. A local equipment dealer in our area sold over a dozen of them last year for $1,500.00 each.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bridgeport...h=item3645b3c1d0:g:BRMAAOSw7U5ZARY3:rk:1:pf:0

For a lathe I would look into something like a 10 to 12" Logan. Here's a link to some information on Logan's:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/logan/index.html

When I purchased my Sheldon a couple years ago the seller also had a completely rebuilt (including regrinding the ways) Logan similar to this for $2,200.00
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-x-35-Logan-Metal-Lathe-/312444543227?oid=312388841808

Both machines would easily fit into the space you are considering, however I would insulate and heat the space before moving in the machines. I started with my lathe and two mills in a 3 car garage. It was fine during the summer months, but all but unusable during the winter. As I'm typing this it's currently -16*F. The spring time also had it's share of problems. On warm days moisture would condense on the cold iron. The machines had to be wiped down several times daily to keep them from rusting.

The machines only lasted in the garage about 2 years. I moved all the wood working equipment to one side of the basement and brought in the metal working machines. Over the years the shop has expanded considerably. There are now nearly 2 dozen pieces of metal working machinery in the shop. All of it is old American Iron, and all are in excellent condition.

There are good used machines to be found. The best places to look are local shops, universities, technical schools, high schools and government auctions. Several of my machines came from schools and local businesses.

Back