Show Me Your Milling Machine Chip Guards

Coroplast: corrugated plastic (like cardboard only plastic). The stuff they make cheap yard signs from. Hot chips will stick.

IMG_9054.JPG
IMG_9055.JPG

made these after using a face mill on alu for the first time :) All secured with magnets. Clean up takes very little time and not much gets onto the floor.

Here is my solution for guarding against hot chips and coolant splash. 6 mil vinyl, held in place with magnets, infinitely adjustable and durable. I'm still using the same curtain that was started using in 2012.
Tormach Curtain .JPG

The OSHA term for these devices is "effective chip guarding" or chip guarding. I plugged that into Google image search and was treated to a whole lot of useful ideas for setting something up. I also found the Krispy Kreme chip guard... which is why you didn't get any useful ideas out of me!

I'm reminded of the time I was doing some turning that was creating a major spray of hot chips. I got burned by a few going down my shirt. The next day Fred brought me one of his wife's tube-tops to wear around my neck. Worked perfectly and I wore it proudly.

I'm reminded of the time I was doing some turning that was creating a major spray of hot chips. I got burned by a few going down my shirt. The next day Fred brought me one of his wife's tube-tops to wear around my neck. Worked perfectly and I wore it proudly.
Let's call it a gator, please LOL - but I get it! :grin:

Back