Show Me Your Milling Machine Chip Guards

@tjb, you said that you used plexiglass- as in cast acrylic? Did you have any issues with spider cracks when drilling and milling those slots? I've mostly given up on using clear plastics because it's always the last operation that tuns the part to caca with cracks. I know a dubbed drill is the workaround, but that slotting looks precarious. Nice work!

Reactions: tjb
There a
you said that you used plexiglass- as in cast acrylic?
There are so many plastic like products. I'm interested in which one to buy as well. RMS used a crystal clear product, plexiglass?
tjb's is clear as well. Nicely done I might add.

Reactions: tjb
I used Lexan. (polycarbonate). Much more scratch resistant and drills nicely.
Robert

Aha, 1/4 inch polycarbonate makes sense- and probably qualifies you for an ANSI Z87.1 safety rating! Nice!

There has to be a better way to do this. I cut some plexiglass/polycarbonate? in a 3 panel affair that gets in the way and does a lousy job of containing the chips.

I contain the chips after machining with this thing called a Broom. {Not the kind a witch flies on, the one your mother used to sweep the kitchen floor.}

Robert, I really like the spring loaded T-nuts. Great Idea. Mike

Reactions: rwm
@tjb, you said that you used plexiglass- as in cast acrylic? Did you have any issues with spider cracks when drilling and milling those slots? I've mostly given up on using clear plastics because it's always the last operation that tuns the part to caca with cracks. I know a dubbed drill is the workaround, but that slotting looks precarious. Nice work!
The product description on what I bought was 'Acrylic Sheet 1/4" Clear Plexiglas'. I didn't have any issues with cracks. I cut the pieces to size on my table saw and drilled and slotted on the mill. I can give you more specifics on what I bought and the ebay vendor if you like. Just let me know.

I have used quite a bit of white cast acrylic, and you're right: it's not nearly as forgiving. Very minor cracks and chips occur with it, but it hides pretty well on white. Only rarely have I needed to re-do a piece because of such flaws.

Thanks for the compliment. Maybe I got lucky?

Regards,
Terry

Whoops yes, Coroplast...
Signs at convenience stores are often made from Coroplast.
My dad used to help out at his corner store and they gave him loads of the things.

Campaign signs are often made of it, too.

Back