Show Us Your Shop Made Tooling!

After I made my hex R-8 block I made a round one with 1/4" reamed holes with my dividing head so I don't have to lift that heavy thing on the mill for small jobs. I just insert the pin in the correct hole and rotate it against the solid jaw of my vise. Just another way you can make one for any number of spaces.

What holds the collet in the square block ? Is there a draw bolt that goes out the back side ?

John

both Hex or square would use a bolt on the back side to draw the collet in an tighten the work.

Yes there is a drawbar bolt on the back side so they are mostly for short work unless used with a tailstock or other support. You can use an R-8 3 jaw chuck to increase capacity if needed.

Re: Shop made tooling

Pictures can be hosted here, that way someone reading old posts can still see the pictures.
We like pictures!

• :rofl:

Ok, I hear the crickets chirpin in here, so let me post some different things to get the ball rolling.

skyhook02.jpg

This was just parts from the plumbing section at home depot. Helpsn when lifting heavy chucks.

skyhook01.jpg

skyhook01.jpg
This disc is used to pre load your chucks jaws while grinding
chuckspyder03-1.jpg

TPG01.jpg
How about modding your Boring bar holder to take a tool post grinder on a QCTP
TPG02.jpg

skyhook02.jpg

skyhook01.jpg

skyhook01.jpg

chuckspyder03-1.jpg

TPG01.jpg

TPG02.jpg

skyhook02.jpg

skyhook01.jpg

skyhook01.jpg

chuckspyder03-1.jpg

TPG01.jpg

TPG02.jpg

skyhook01.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Shop made tooling

I would love to see these pics but can't- is it me and my iPad?

Bernie

Pictures can be hosted here, that way someone reading old posts can still see the pictures.
We like pictures!

• :rofl:

Guys

Regarding the pics from my posts, My photo bucket account got dumped some time ago.
I do intend to either replace the pics in the original post, or delete the original and repost a new one.
I also had my computer crash to the floor when my dog decided to drag it off the table. So many pics I had were lost. The new windows 8 computer has been taking awhile to learn all the ins and outs, but I have a handle on it some what, and could start replacing the pics or threads. Will get the pics fixed up soon.

In response to a PM from Que requesting pics, and infro on a Tool Post Grinder for the AXA tool post. I used a boring bar holder that was a extra laying around. I bored it out to 1 inch ID, then used a slit saw acoss the side. Then drilled and tapped for a pinch bolt.
The hand piece is a Foredom unit, as is the motor. These hand pieces are cheap, very compact, and bearing are easy to change, and US made. Cable driven with remote motor. I use this type of hand piece, as I have many foredome products, and been very happy over the yrs. Good for light grinding jobs, and trueing up chuck jaws, what I mainly use it for.

TPG01.jpg TPG02.jpg TPG04.jpg tool post grinder02.jpg

Last edited:
Getting ready to move my milling machine tomorrow. I remember how much of a struggle we had getting the mill up onto skids last spring I decided to come up with something better than a crowbar and blocks of wood.
I took some 3/8 plate steel and formed a bracket to go my small 4 ton bottle jack. I think that this will be safer and easier than trying to stand on a pry bar and scoot blocks of wood under it.

mill jack.jpg

That's going to come in very handy when you need to get some day light between the floor and machine. Though I still use the big pinch bar, I usually use 1/2 round bar to roll the machines around on. The solid stock wont collapse, and keeps the machine close to the ground. Let us know how you new creation works out for you.

Nice Job :thumbsup:

Getting ready to move my milling machine tomorrow. I remember how much of a struggle we had getting the mill up onto skids last spring I decided to come up with something better than a crowbar and blocks of wood.
I took some 3/8 plate steel and formed a bracket to go my small 4 ton bottle jack. I think that this will be safer and easier than trying to stand on a pry bar and scoot blocks of wood under it.

used the jack last night to put skids under the mill and then put pipes under the skids. Work like a dream.Got the mill up and moved about 20'by myself. The ramp truck came and 39 minutes later he was on his way.

Back