Show Us Your Shop Made Tooling!

Bolt action retractable threading tool and tangential lathe tool.

My not too fancy bolt action retractable threading tool. It works great and was easy to make...even for me. Also, my version of a great tangential lathe tool design by Lew Hartswick.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

cutting thread.JPG retracted.JPG underside.JPG testing thread retracted..JPG tangential 1.JPG tangential 2.JPG

Here is a simple disc I made to preload chuck jaws while regrinding. Provides clearance for the tool post grinder, and allows the user to preload the jaws in the same direction as used.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a boring bar holder modded to take my Foredom hand piece. Primary use for regrinding chuck jaws. Makes a nice mount for a tool post grinder.

chuck spyder 01.jpg chuck spyder 03.jpg TPG02.jpg TPG01.jpg TPG04.jpg

Chuck adapter for a TOS 12 chuck

Here is one of the many adapter plates that I have made for my lathe. The lathe has a L-1 type spindle, and the spindle hubs are not easy to find used, and new ones are not cheap.

bolt pattern 04.jpg bolt pattern 03.jpg 12 inch 3jaw 04.jpg chuck adapter02.jpg 12 inch 3jaw 05.jpg

Home built steady rest

The original was lost in a move, so this is the replacement I made for the Sidney lathe. The finger are reversible, and can be used with the rollers, or without.

finished steady01.jpg finished steady03.jpg p_00872.jpg

8ntsane Good job on those adapter plates. I know it's no small trick getting those buggers parallel and flat with no "singing" chatter.
Ed Hoc

Tangential Tool Holder for 1/2 tooling

This tool holder was the design from a member on this site, FarFar (Niels) His were designed to holder smaller tooling, but I happen to have a big lathe, so 1/2 tool holder was in order. Thanks Niels

finished tool holder 06.jpg finished tool holder01.jpg finished tool holder04.jpg

Spindle Indexer for the Sidney Lathe

This is a 60 hole spindle indexer I drilled into my adapter plate on my 8 inch 4 jaw. The spring loaded spindle lock clamps to the outer way. Great for indexing bolt patterns, and not having to tear the setup down and move to the mill, a real time saver.

Whoops, these pics needed to be turned 90 degrees, just tilt your head left, its all good .lol

- - - Updated - - -

8ntsane Good job on those adapter plates. I know it's no small trick getting those buggers parallel and flat with no "singing" chatter.
Ed Hoc

Oh I know what you mean Ed
Feeds and speeds make the difference.

- - - Updated - - -

My not too fancy bolt action retractable threading tool. It works great and was easy to make...even for me. Also, my version of a great tangential lathe tool design by Lew Hartswick.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -
Very Nice work! That bolt action retractablr threading tool is very impressive.
:thumbsup:

20130328_121057.jpg 20130328_121129.jpg 20130328_121705.jpg 20130328_121645.jpg

In response to a PM from Que requesting pics, and infro on a Tool Post Grinder for the AXA tool post. I used a boring bar holder that was a extra laying around. I bored it out to 1 inch ID, then used a slit saw acoss the side. Then drilled and tapped for a pinch bolt.
The hand piece is a Foredom unit, as is the motor. These hand pieces are cheap, very compact, and bearing are easy to change, and US made. Cable driven with remote motor. I use this type of hand piece, as I have many foredome products, and been very happy over the yrs. Good for light grinding jobs, and trueing up chuck jaws, what I mainly use it for.

LOVE THIS.... Holy crap I have to do this

Bernie

Re: Spindle Indexer for the Sidney Lathe

This is a 60 hole spindle indexer I drilled into my adapter plate on my 8 inch 4 jaw. The spring loaded spindle lock clamps to the outer way. Great for indexing bolt patterns, and not having to tear the setup down and move to the mill, a real time saver.

Whoops, these pics needed to be turned 90 degrees, just tilt your head left, its all good .lol

8ntsane-

You make me want to make all of these!! And such beautiful work!! Wow...

With the indexing chuck backplate- do you put something on the compound to drill or something? Or are you using a tool in a toolholder to make marks (like for a bolt pattern) while set up to make it easier to move to another machine?

Bernie

8ntsane-

You make me want to make all of these!! And such beautiful work!! Wow...

With the indexing chuck backplate- do you put something on the compound to drill or something? Or are you using a tool in a toolholder to make marks (like for a bolt pattern) while set up to make it easier to move to another machine?

Bernie

LOL, very good question Bernie
Stay tuned, I have two items I use for drilling. I will post pics of those today. Both are used on the lathe, and no need to take the work piece out of the chuck, and resetup on the mill.

Back