Sieg SC3 7x16 Mini Lathe Question...

Maybe the motor or motor mounts? I trued the spindle nuts on Homier and LMS 7x lathes. Do you have a plug in the odd spindle hole? I assume the lathe is on its rubber feet.

Maybe the motor or motor mounts? I trued the spindle nuts on Homier and LMS 7x lathes. Do you have a plug in the odd spindle hole?

Believe it or not, the motor is my suspicion. The mount is a solid mount to the bed, so anything with the motor would transfer to the bedway directly.

Yes, tried a plug in the odd hole. no difference.

Had to go through the thing logically though starting with spindle bearings, then motor pulley and belt.

I would have swapped the spindle if I could, as well as the spindle belt-pulley, but I am not digging my hand in my pocket over warranty stuff (other than the belt and pulley, which I am still miffed about).

*** EDIT TO ADD ***

Supplier has basically said "we are not going to do anything". Not even 6 months since I purchased it :mad: :burned up:

As a result, I am going to concentrate on getting the rebuild of my other lathe done then decide what to do with this one.

*** EDIT TO ADD ***

Last edited:
Believe it or not, the motor is my suspicion. The mount is a solid mount to the bed, so anything with the motor would transfer to the bedway directly.

Yes, tried a plug in the odd hole. no difference.

Had to go through the thing logically though starting with spindle bearings, then motor pulley and belt.

I would have swapped the spindle if I could, as well as the spindle belt-pulley, but I am not digging my hand in my pocket over warranty stuff (other than the belt and pulley, which I am still miffed about).

*** EDIT TO ADD ***

Supplier has basically said "we are not going to do anything". Not even 6 months since I purchased it :mad: :burned up:

As a result, I am going to concentrate on getting the rebuild of my other lathe done then decide what to do with this one.

*** EDIT TO ADD ***
As far as the supplier not going any further, I don’t blame them. Although your glass of water does show a vibration and noise, I don’t think it would fall out of line of any low standards they hold up to. Judging by the noise, there is definitely something that’s very rhythmic. It doesn’t sound to me just like the awful noise these little machines make with the Gear mesh.
This water test I don’t know does it prove there’s something wrong with the machine? No, not really it just proves that there’s some harmonic disturbance in that machine somewhere somehow.

That noise I hear reminds me lot of when the starter pinion doesn’t fully disengage on like an old Chevy 350 and it just kind of bounces around against the flywheel a little bit.

I do agree I think that would drive me crazy. But then again, you have to come back to working within the quality and standards at which that thing was built. Which is little to none in my mind.

The only other thing I could suggest is if you bought this machine with the credit card and it is still under warranty the credit card even has warranty and product protection when you use it to buy items. So you can always call your credit card company give them all the information that they need or want File a claim with them and see what happens.

As far as the supplier not going any further, I don’t blame them. Although your glass of water does show a vibration and noise, I don’t think it would fall out of line of any low standards they hold up to. Judging by the noise, there is definitely something that’s very rhythmic. It doesn’t sound to me just like the awful noise these little machines make with the Gear mesh.
This water test I don’t know does it prove there’s something wrong with the machine? No, not really it just proves that there’s some harmonic disturbance in that machine somewhere somehow.

That noise I hear reminds me lot of when the starter pinion doesn’t fully disengage on like an old Chevy 350 and it just kind of bounces around against the flywheel a little bit.

I do agree I think that would drive me crazy. But then again, you have to come back to working within the quality and standards at which that thing was built. Which is little to none in my mind.

The only other thing I could suggest is if you bought this machine with the credit card and it is still under warranty the credit card even has warranty and product protection when you use it to buy items. So you can always call your credit card company give them all the information that they need or want File a claim with them and see what happens.

TBH, I am beyond done with the thing. The supplier admitted that yes, it is well beyond acceptable yet they are unwilling to do anything.

I am, luckily, in a position to sit on it and deal with it in time.

As for the glass test, it does only show vibration, that is the entire point of the test, to show vibration, the extent of it and at what RPM it is most prevelant.

It could be a motor/ controller issue. Make a blank disk to mount on the motor shaft and use a block of wood to add drag. You might find it pulsing under a load.

Remove the belts and chuck up a 3/8 rod. Spin it up with a high speed drill to check the spindle and bearings. Or use a rubber disc in a drill to bring it up to speed with friction so the drill doesn’t influence anything.

Put an indicator on each timing pulley to see if one of them is loping.

It’s something simple that’s being overlooked!

It could be a motor/ controller issue. Make a blank disk to mount on the motor shaft and use a block of wood to add drag. You might find it pulsing under a load.

Remove the belts and chuck up a 3/8 rod. Spin it up with a high speed drill to check the spindle and bearings. Or use a rubber disc in a drill to bring it up to speed with friction so the drill doesn’t influence anything.

Put an indicator on each timing pulley to see if one of them is loping.

It’s something simple that’s being overlooked!

You know, that single answer is chocked full of the information that was lacking from the supplier.

TBH, I am beyond done with the thing. The supplier admitted that yes, it is well beyond acceptable yet they are unwilling to do anything.

I am, luckily, in a position to sit on it and deal with it in time.

As for the glass test, it does only show vibration, that is the entire point of the test, to show vibration, the extent of it and at what RPM it is most prevelant.
if you showed that glass test to the manufacturer of that lady, they would probably look at you with confusion, and then say it didn’t even fall off.

I might not have conveyed my words correctly. I can see the supplier and the manufacturer, seeing nothing wrong with that.

I would make some chips and see how it performs ?

if you showed that glass test to the manufacturer of that lady, they would probably look at you with confusion, and then say it didn’t even fall off.

I might not have conveyed my words correctly. I can see the supplier and the manufacturer, seeing nothing wrong with that.

I would make some chips and see how it performs ?

As I said, I am done with it.

I do not want to start another rebuild (already rebuilding one lathe) and I have no intent to go down that rabbit hole a second time with this lathe.

As I said, I am done with it.

I do not want to start another rebuild (already rebuilding one lathe) and I have no intent to go down that rabbit hole a second time with this lathe.
Well, I hope if you ever do get back to it and find the source of your problem, you come back and tell us about it.
It is too bad though that the manufacturer/supplier is backing out of warranty issues. But now that you’ve actually taken it apart and touched it, you’ve given me a reason back out.
Good luck thanks for the posts. I don’t get a lot of time on my leave few hours here and there maybe two days a month if I’m lucky so these forums are a bit of an outlet for me.

Well, I hope if you ever do get back to it and find the source of your problem, you come back and tell us about it.
It is too bad though that the manufacturer/supplier is backing out of warranty issues. But now that you’ve actually taken it apart and touched it, you’ve given me a reason back out.
Good luck thanks for the posts. I don’t get a lot of time on my leave few hours here and there maybe two days a month if I’m lucky so these forums are a bit of an outlet for me.

I did nothing without being instructed to do so by the supplier and even then, exactly just what they suggested.

I'll get to it and resolve it. I have an idea where the issue is after messing about with it earlier..

I will update as and when I get what I need to test my theory.

Back